Ammonia and pH spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gal goldy tank. About 4 days ago, I tested the water after my standard weekly 40% water change. After this water test the ammonia is usually 0 and the pH is usually 7.8. When I did the change 4 days ago, the ammonia was 0.5-1 and the pH was 8.2.

After some further research, I found out that I was not cleaning the filters impeller, which your supposed to do once a month and I hand done for 5 months. So I cleaned the impeller and did another 40%. I tested the ammonia again and it was still 0.5. Everyday since then, I’ve done a 20% change, but today I did a 60% as the ammonia is still 0.25-0.5 and the pH is 8.0 (but I’ve adjusted with ph down).

Why is this happening and how can I fix it? TIA

Stop using the pH down. It will swing the pH and cause more harm than good. I'm guessing your tank maybe went into a mini cycle from over cleaning?? What are you using to test your water?

Stop using the pH down. It will swing the pH and cause more harm than good. I'm guessing your tank maybe went into a mini cycle from over cleaning?? What are you using to test your water?

Ok. I’m using the API freshwater master test kit. What do you mean by mini cycle? I’m guessing bc I cleaned it so much the nitrogen cycle has probably started again to something

Ok. I’m using the API freshwater master test kit. What do you mean by mini cycle? I’m guessing bc I cleaned it so much the nitrogen cycle has probably started again to something

Also if I leave the ph it’ll be around 8-8.2, isn’t that bad for goldies?

Fish will adjust to a constant PH much better than one that moves around. Consistency is always better than constant changes

What can I do to fix the ammonia situation?

Exactly. Not completely started over but took out enough BB to throw it off. Just keep on top of frequent water changes. That pH is fine for goldfish.....most fish really. They adapt. Do partial water changes until your ammonia is 0 then do a pwc every 2 or 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom