Ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you guys ever test positive for ammonia?

I mean just a hint of it??My tanks always test for just a little....just barely noticable...no where near .25 ppm,but not quite the yellow on the card either.

If I didn't really really study the color difference I probably wouldn't notice at all...But I'm sure its there,however slight.

The blue for the nitrites always stays true blue and of coarse I always test positive for nitrates in each.

You guys ever notice it??

My guess is that you have 0 ppm, but with the light in your room and the inaccuracy of the majority of testing equipment used, it's just looking like there is some.

Your tank has been cycled for a while now, I think. I wouldn't worry about anything.

well put devilish turtles, your not gonna wanna really worry until your readings showa good 0.50 - 1.0, then your gonna wanan start doing water changes since the levels will increase rapidly after that, even if ya did show 0.25ppm I would still do a 25% water change and gravel sweep to be on the safe side, its amazing how fast these levels will increase in a few days

Devilishturtles said:
My guess is that you have 0 ppm, but with the light in your room and the inaccuracy of the majority of testing equipment used, it's just looking like there is some.

not to mention the tannin (brownish water) which can also influence a person's judgment when looking at the test tube.

You guys ever notice it??
..I'll go ahead and assume no is the answer ;)

When are you taking tests? Right after water changes?
Always before.

Don't get me wrong guys,its not an issue water quality per se,I'm just trying to normalize my results a bit.

Let me ask it this way:
Does everyone else see the yellow without a doubt?
100% sure it hasn't changed?

I see the yellow with no change, but when I had first introduced driftwood to my tank the color was off a bit. I check my test with as bright outside light as possible so as to not get bad readings from interior lighting.

I see a perfect match with zero. However, if you test after feeding, small amounts of food particles could give a color change. If testing after a water change, chloramines could also turn the test color. Test with the tube against or near a white background in good light.

Back
Top Bottom