Ammonia problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon fish tank and the ammonia is .25ppm the issue is that the tank has been setup for 2 weeks had only 2 Molly's and I got today 8 neons,2 Molly's,2 angle, and two bottom bottom feeders how do I keep the ammonia from spiking and killing fish, I already did a water change today after putting fish in because the ammonia was higher than .25ppm (the water change dropped it to .25ppm) the LFS said ammonia chips any advice

You need to keep doing water changes at least daily if not more than daily. This means your tank is not cycled. I would read up on fish-in cycling and I would also recommend using prime as your dechlorinater as it makes ammonia and nitrite a non toxic form for 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good morning! You have your work cut out for you with the addition of so many fish to a cycling tank but you can do it! As said you need to test and test and try to keep your ammonia level no higher than .25, less than that every day with water changes and correct dosage of Prime. I'd say change at least 35 percent every time? depending on the reading. I would guess there will be quite a spike in ammonia with all those fish. It will be a long slog daily for 3-4 weeks. But well worth it to keep your fish in healthy clean water. Don't feed them very much until the tank is cycled. And good idea to not add any more fish. Try to stay away from fish stores for now, lol. Clean fresh water is what you can do for them now. Anyone else please jump in here. Good luck! Read about cycling a tank. Keep getting help here.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you so much and I'll try to get the prime tomorrow unfortunately one of the angle died because of one of the new Molly's

You might want to take some of those fish back to the store, tank is overstocked and not cycled.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you so much and I'll try to get the prime tomorrow unfortunately one of the angle died because of one of the new Molly's

Your tank is overstocked, and I also think you should take most of the fish back and get it cycled. I also assume you mean "angel" not angle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom