Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ammonia Problems

Hey All, I'm new to this forum, but really need some help w/ my 20 gallon fresh water tank as I am at a loss. I believe I'm dealing w/ "old tank syndrome" but can't seem to remedy it A few wks back I added some new fish and 2 shrimp. The next day all but 1 fish and the 2 shrimp were dead. Then over the next 2-3 days 3 of my older fish died off. Current surviving stock: 2 tetras, 2 shrimp, and 1 cory cat.

I purchased an API Master test kit and found that my ammonia and pH were high (4.0 and 7.6 pH), no nitrites and nitrates @ 40 ppm. I've tried doing partial water changes every other day, but my ammonia refuses to go below what i would say is 3.0 (appears to be between 2.0 and 4.0 on the scale). I tested my tap water and it tests @ 4.0. Right now I have Topfin water conditioner, when i tested the tap water after treating it w/ the water conditioner the ammonia was at 2.0. I have a fluval aquaclear 50 so i changed out the middle filter to the ammonia remover filter. I've been adding ammolock and some api quickstart, but nothing seems to get this ammonia level down. I'm really at a loss on what to do next? The only change I've really seen is my nitrates have lowered to 20. Is this a good sign? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to do larger water changes. 4.0ppm of ammonia is very toxic.

I would do a series of large water changes every few hours.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Your tap water reads 4.0 ammonia?
That's extremely high! I'm not entirely sure but maybe your city's water supplier is flushing out their system?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I retested some tap water this morning and it's closer to 1.0 so I either did the test wrong when I did it a couple of wks ago or maybe what you said is correct about flushing the system. I checked online ant it did say they treat the water w/ "trace amounts of ammonia".

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com