Ammonia Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbutz1094

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey All, I'm new to this forum, but really need some help w/ my 20 gallon fresh water tank as I am at a loss. I believe I'm dealing w/ "old tank syndrome" but can't seem to remedy it :( A few wks back I added some new fish and 2 shrimp. The next day all but 1 fish and the 2 shrimp were dead. Then over the next 2-3 days 3 of my older fish died off. Current surviving stock: 2 tetras, 2 shrimp, and 1 cory cat.

I purchased an API Master test kit and found that my ammonia and pH were high (4.0 and 7.6 pH), no nitrites and nitrates @ 40 ppm. I've tried doing partial water changes every other day, but my ammonia refuses to go below what i would say is 3.0 (appears to be between 2.0 and 4.0 on the scale). I tested my tap water and it tests @ 4.0. Right now I have Topfin water conditioner, when i tested the tap water after treating it w/ the water conditioner the ammonia was at 2.0. I have a fluval aquaclear 50 so i changed out the middle filter to the ammonia remover filter. I've been adding ammolock and some api quickstart, but nothing seems to get this ammonia level down. I'm really at a loss on what to do next? The only change I've really seen is my nitrates have lowered to 20. Is this a good sign? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You need to do larger water changes. 4.0ppm of ammonia is very toxic.

I would do a series of large water changes every few hours.

Your tap water reads 4.0 ammonia?
That's extremely high! I'm not entirely sure but maybe your city's water supplier is flushing out their system?

I retested some tap water this morning and it's closer to 1.0 so I either did the test wrong when I did it a couple of wks ago or maybe what you said is correct about flushing the system. I checked online ant it did say they treat the water w/ "trace amounts of ammonia".

Back
Top Bottom