ammonia vs aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

longbrro

Aquarium Advice Regular
hay guys.....hope all is fine.

how can i reduce the ammonia level without changing the water ???.....is there any fish that is good in eating fish wastes ???.....is there is any medicine or water treating liquid that can reduce ammonia in the tank ??

If you want to keep your fish alive you need to change the water. There is a product that will bind to the ammonia and nitrites to make them less toxic to your fish, it's called Seachem's Prime, but that is not a permanent fix.

hay sweety thanks.....my tank is 180 liter ....how much time should i change the water per month.....i change it every 10 days....is it ok ???

If you are having an ammonia problem, you need to change it every day because it's either still cycling, or you have too many fish, until you get the ammonia and nitrites to 0.
I change the water in all my tanks once a week.
Good luck!

be ready for 50%-75% or more and dont forget to treat your water. this might be daily but once its cycled weekly 25-50% is best i think.

Agree. Test daily. If your amm level goes over 0.5ppm, do an immediate water change to get it at least to 0.25ppm.

I change 40% weekly, FYI.

hay guys.....hope all is fine.

how can i reduce the ammonia level without changing the water ???.....is there any fish that is good in eating fish wastes ???.....is there is any medicine or water treating liquid that can reduce ammonia in the tank ??

Once your filter is cycled then that will remove ammonia and you'll only need to do water changes to remove ntirates, even that can be mitigated by using live plants. But water changes are still needed even then.

There are treatments for Ammonia but I think most here would recommend water changes first.

You're so overstocked in that tank that it's quite possibly a losing battle anyway. 31 fish (cichlids no less) in the equivalent of 46 US gallons

One way to "remove" ammonia from the tank without changing water is to decrease the pH of the tank. Doing this will convert the ammonia molecules into ammonium ions and if the pH of the tank were to become more alkaline then more and more ammonia would reappear with increasing alkalinity.

I didn't see what fish are in the tank, but it was mentioned above that you may have cichlids (Africans I'm assuming) so decreasing the pH isn't a good idea in my opinion.

Another option may be to add live plants, however mixing plants and Africans generally ends up in destroyed plants, though you may find success with some species/arrangements.

A more "realistic option" would be to use zeolite to remove ammonia from the tank, but your tank is far overstocked and you would need a great deal of it to work.

I recommend water changes of 15-20 gallons 2-3 times per week. You could always add zeolite to your filter in order to prevent ammonia spikes. Might even consider some floating plants like duckweek or Amazon frogbit, though I'm not certain that they won't be eaten.

Back
Top Bottom