Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Username12345

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For christmas i have convinced my mom to get me a fish tank. She will only get me a 20 gallon though. My question is can i have angelfish in a 20 gallon with a few panda corys.

P.S. if i am posting this in the wrong spot please tell me i am still trying to figure things out on this website.

20 gallon you can have one angelfish. Maybe two as well if small but Angels grow very fast.

Angel fish and Neon tetras are not a good mix. Eventually your Angel is likely to eat them.

Yeah, I wouldn't do neons unless you just want then as bait for your angels. You can do a couple of Molly's or platies, swordfish, fish like those.And I'd ask mom for a 30 gallon ? black Friday sales. Pet smart is having alot of deals on tanks, and fish. Petco might be too. Just say'n. It's X-mas. 30 gallon is much better to have 2 or 3 angels in it. Maybe even 4, but it would be more cleaning. Anyways lots on deals everywhere on tanks on black Friday.

29 would be much better and it really isn't too much bigger (also Petsmart has a Blackfriday 36gl with stand for 100 buck) I do not ever recommend buying fish there.
I second that! You will regret buy the fish at pet smart. Petco I recommend. Or from a breeder. Be careful even at other fish stores.

Never mix neons with Angelfish. If you see they are not interested in neons but after dark its a different story.

Wouldn't recommend Petco either or any other box store . Stick with your local independent or Online (not necessarily plugging myself but there are many on here including myself that sell quality fish)

I 100% agree that independent breeders are the way to go and mom and pop fish stores are a close second. I have heard Petsmart gets their Texas cichlids and Flowerhorns from Segrest Farms (Florida) the same place my favorite mom and pop store orders from. The independents provide the additional TLC and experience that the typical box store employee
Can't. The fish decline as a result. IMO the box stores are for the most part dead zones, but I have to admit that every once in a while I slip and buy a fish from them.

I’ve kept a large school of cardinal tetras and angels together for years. No issues at all. Just saying...

I’ve kept a large school of cardinal tetras and angels together for years. No issues at all. Just saying...
Neon tetras are natural food source for angels in wild. Maybe your Angels were not adult

Most folks keep common Pterophyllum Scalare angels, which would have a difficult time scarfing down a tetra nearly 2 inches long. No problem for altum’s though. Depends on the type of angel for sure. I’ve only seen altum’s in large pet shop display tanks....so impressive!!

Altums are very beautiful but delicate than the common angels and expensive as well but they do look very gorgeous

Back
Top Bottom