angels not so angelic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alan66

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi why do my two koi angels chase all other fish away in tank no matter what time of day seams they want it all to their selves used to be ok ,they laid eggs two or three times and ate them could this be why.the other fish are platies and mollies mostly but are ok when being fed .they are in a roma 200 tank cheers:fish2:

They're probably aggressive because they're a breeding pair, but not because they ate their eggs.

Are the other fish showing signs of stress like hiding, loss of appetite, loss of color, or anything?

Well, I'm not sure there's much you can do about that, then, unless you have another large enough tank to safely and happily house your angels. Angels are known to be aggressive when breeding, although I've usually heard that they mostly bother other angels... Is there plenty of hiding places?

Mine do that too. In addition to being a breeding pair (I have one breeding pair and two others - not sure of the sex of the other two), they are also territorial esp after they've laid eggs. My pair have pretty much claimed one side of my 60 gal tank and woe unto the fish that ventures into their territory.

Eating eggs is common. Ive never tried to breed angels, but I've heard if you put a piece of slate or something like that propped against the glass for them to lay their eggs on, once they lay their eggs on the slate, take the slate with eggs on it and put it in another tank with lots of O2 and water movement, add some antifungal product to protect the eggs and they should hatch. The parents usually "fan" the eggs and remove the dead ones, which is why you need to provide water movement and antifungal, both of which do the job that the parents would have done.

yes there is adequate hide outs plenty of plants too

yes ive read up and found that out they have laid lots of eggs mothered them for a while and go through motions then eat them but not fertilize them ,have read they could both be females but am sure ones a male judging by their bits differing

Isn't that frustrating? I'm pretty sure mine have fertilized their eggs, or at least went through the motions, but ate them almost immediately after! Just as well since I don't have the room for any more angels anyway.

alan66 said:
hi why do my two koi angels chase all other fish away in tank no matter what time of day seams they want it all to their selves used to be ok ,they laid eggs two or three times and ate them could this be why.the other fish are platies and mollies mostly but are ok when being fed .they are in a roma 200 tank cheers:fish2:

What means Roma 200 tank?

Rosenweiss said:
It's a fluval 200 liter. So it's about 53 gallons.

Thanks!
Don't know what to tell you, I have one Marble Angelfish in my 100 G tank, with other 50 fish, like tetras, corys, rainbows, Khulis, danios, and apistos.

So far, no aggression ( I'm knocking on wood, and twice ).....

thanks for all your help finding out lots of info on here just by reading lol guess thats partly why its here

I have several angels and a breeding pair that actually laid eggs just last night (they do every 2 weeks or so). The aggression to tankmates is totally normal, but as long as they aren't actually stressing or damaging them then I wouldn't worry about it.

I keep my current breeding pair of veiltails in their own 20g High tank to see if they can manage to keep a spawn alive on their own.

Back
Top Bottom