Annoying Hard Water Stains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a used fish tank and it has hard water stains all over it! Does anybody know a trick or what is the easiest way to get it off. Thanks!

vanimal said:
I bought a used fish tank and it has hard water stains all over it! Does anybody know a trick or what is the easiest way to get it off. Thanks!

Get some white vinegar and rub it all off should work

they are right if you use pure white vinegar it will come right off. I have hard water my self, that's what I use to clean a lot of things around the house

I'm trying that but its really thick and not working very well.

try letting it set. place tank on its side coat the glass on the inside and let it soak for about a half hour. if you have an aquarium safe scrub pad use it after it has had time to soak.

Try scraping it with a razor blade. Rub some vinegar into it, then use the blade to scrape the deposits off. Just be sure to keep the blade at a steady angle to avoid scratching the glass. I cleaned all my tanks like this when I had them empty to move them, and it worked wonderfully. I have hard water myself, and my tanks had gotten really grimy with mineral deposits.

Razor blades work wonders. To soak the side of the tank lay a towel wet with vinegar over the side of the tank. Doing it that way avoids having to tip the tank on its side potentially damaging it.

Ok I will try laying a towel because I can't move my tank because its a 150 gallon and Its pretty darn heavy! And I will try the razor blade also

oh i didn't realize your aquarium was that big lol. it would be really hard to lay it on its side, I just recently bought a used 30 gal that had bad hard water stains on it, laying it over on its side to soak was pretty easy. The towel soak should work for you along with razor blade and a good scrub pad

Back
Top Bottom