Another Oto Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanewbie72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm still plagued with brown algae - its been quite a while now. So I went and bought 2 Oto's on Wednesday night. And I hope I'm not being impatient but... they really haven't done much of anything. I never see them eating or swimming around. One has pretty much plastered himself into the upper back corner of the tank and stays there for hours on end. The other one was hanging upside down on the plastic log last night, today I haven't seen him at all; but he's not floating and I don't see a body anywhere. I assume he's hiding in the cave.

Is this a normal acclimation process for them? How long until they feel comfortable enough to start WORKING? Or could something be wrong?

Thanks!!!

Just be patient with them. If their bellies are round, then they are working. Mine took about 3 days to start munching. But they are very active once they get settled in.

They just need a little more time. Otos are almost always stressed when you first get them and need time to settle in. Mine are most active at night.

I'm sure that my Angel Fish tormenting them the first day they were in there did not help matters. She didn't try to hurt them but she is the Welcome Wagon of my tank and is very curious and kept swimming right up to them for a close look- which sent them flying across the tank in horror. But that was only Wednesday night, I haven't seen her near them since.

Thank you - I'll keep an eye on them. In the meantime, I guess I need to keep cleaning algae myself- there is plenty so I'll leave some as a snack for my new guys whenever they are ready.

oh BUMMER when I cleaned the tank and did PWC on Sunday, I found one of my new Otos dead! AARRGGH Thats why I couldn't find him Saturday- he had borrowed down into the midde of one of my plastic plants with all the leaves around him and died. I didn't even find him until I was cleaning the plant in the sink. BLAH
So now I've only got one Oto - I know they like to be in groups- should I get another one or two or do you think he'll bond with my cory? At the moment he is still secluded way up high in the back corner of the tank. Thats pretty much where he is all the time.

I bought 8 for a 75Gal, I have 5 left and they don't seem to have any problems. even with the blackskirts chasing them like they are snack food every so often.

I'ld pick up another 2 and see how they do.

Also, I didn't lose any within the first week, and I acclimated them by opening the bag and dumping them in. no ill effects.

from my experience ottos seem to be very sensetive within the first 2 - 3 wks i bought 4 from a lfs and they all lived fine for a week, then one died, then another until by the end of the third wk i only had one left :( but he continues on strong. I then bought another 4 and they all died within the first 2wks as well... my lfs told me they prefer softer water, our tap water's pretty damn hard!

Back
Top Bottom