Anti-social CAE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apocalypse_Gold

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My golden CAE is anti-social. He's not mean, he just likes to be left alone. I have him in my QT that also houses my Florida Flag Fish. I have a divider to keep them separate (the male FFF was becoming to mean for a community tank but too pretty to get rid of).
My CAE was on the left side (the QT side) when I brought home some new fish (swordtails and rainbows). For some reason this batch was really stressed out and for some reason they all started to hang out by the CAE. I guess they were trying to school with a fish that seemed calm and happy. He hated it. They would swim over to him and he would swim away. Finally he jumped over the divider. He would rather be with the mean FFF than panicky fish.
I eventually moved my new fish to my main tank, and the CAE jumped back to the empty side (well, empty except for one ghost shrimp). Whenever I walk up to the tank, he stares at me, with this accusing look--What do you want? Eerie. He also likes to hang out halfway out of the water sometimes. He's just plain weird. :evil:

you are SO funny! my cae is the oldest fish in the tank--he has survived my newbie cycle disasters, several bouts of ich, 3 tank upgrades etc etc. he is definitely the grumpiest fish i have, but i think he's earned the right :). recently he has been getting into shoving matches with my big clown loach--it's actually kind of funny--they look like 2 linebackers going at it. but no one reaallygets hurt. the cae just chases other fish away when they get into his "personal space". he quite a character! i sort of have to love him!

My CAE is approaching 6" now and he is antisocial too. Not to the extent that I have to separate him. Actually I am impressed with the fact that he doesn't try and suck on the other fish, he still sucks on the glass and ornaments and plants in the tank.

He used to be a scaredy cat, swimming away when I approached the tank (for over 6 months), but now he faces the front/me and stares and does....not....move! I've had other fish that watch me (especially the fff) but never any that look angry. :x

I think this is the norm with CAE's. It was always my understanding that they are juvenile algae eaters, and once the reach "adulthood" that they stop and become lazy(but sometimes agressive).

That's a smart fish. ;)

My CAE attacks my other fish! When other fish come too close he will start chasing them until they go away...he even tries to attach (suck onto) to my adult keyhole cichlids... I actually dislike him......but he's too hard to catch, so I'm leaving him in my tank. I'll return him to my lfs without a doubt though if I'm ever able to catch him.......there are much nicer, prettier algae eaters :p

I guess I've really lucked out then, being that Bruce is such a softie, even with as big as he is getting. Counting my lucky stars here.

Back
Top Bottom