Ants and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have an infestation of ants in my fish room. I think they are sugar ants and I'm wondering, if any get into my tanks will it harm my fish

I would have to say they would first of all drown and second of all get eaten! But I don't think they would hurt your fish! :)

Use Terro to get rid of the ants. Find their trails and put a small drop right next to it. Trim any tree limbs that may be touching your roof and treat any bushes that may be outside that room. Also make sure your fish foods are properly sealed and give the room a good cleaning. Should notice a decrease in ants within days and all gone in a couple of weeks.

Edit: Do not disturb the ant trails. This only serves to piss them off and they just find another route to whatever it is they are feeding on.

I throw ants and a few flying bugs i find outside buzzing around my porch lite..into my tank...my fish love them...

Okay cool. Thanks for all the replays. I think the ant came inside to find water because there is none outside

jwh0818 said:
Okay cool. Thanks for all the replays. I think the ant came inside to find water because there is none outside

Quite possible. The Terro will take care of them for you. You should be able to find it at a hardware store. Ace hardware carries it. Get the smallest bottle they have, it will last many lifetimes.

Back
Top Bottom