Any possible Dwarf Puffer Fish for a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobluewolverines4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've fallen in love with Dwarf Puffers recently. I love Green Spotted Puffers and I'm curious as to if I would be able to keep one in a 10 gallon tank. I would completely redo the tank, starting from scratch. From what I've read they love sand, so that would be my first step. During the cycle I would add some pretty easy/hardy live plants ( Anacharis, Ludwigia, Water Sprite). I would have an Aqueon H.O.B. filter, and an undergravel filter, but I guess with sand it would become irrelevant.

Would all of this be good enough for a single spotted puffer?

I've read that they need a 20 gallon minimum but that isn't an option. I'm some what experienced with fish now (I have a 55 and two 10's, one is a holding tank, the other a dedicated RCS tank), but I've never had any experience with Brackish Water or anything alike.

Any tips or experienced Dwarf Puffer's input would be nice! :thanks:

I've read that GSP need at least a 30g. They are messy eaters so they need a good filter as well. They start out in freshwater when they are small, go to brackish waters as they get older, and go full marine when they reach adulthood. Good luck, I would really like to have one but I'm kinda scared of the whole saltwater thing.

GSPs do need 30 gallons of water. Only young puffers can be kept in freshwater.

You could get 2 or maybe 3 dwarf puffers but no green spotted puffers.

The green spotted puffer is a seperate species of puffer that grows 6 times larger than the dwarf puffer.

gobluewolverines4 said:
I thought gsps were a type of dwarf puffer.... *sigh* can someone explain this to me?

They get to up to 6 inches. In a ten gallon tank, don't do it.

Actual dwarf puffers only get about an inch long, but are still highly territorial and can only be kept in very small numbers in a 10 gal. Usually it's recommended about 3-5 gallons per DP provided there are plants/decorations to break their lines of sight and create areas where individual territories can be established.

Its very easy to get confused by common/trade names of fishes.

Carinotetraodon travancoricus are commonly referred to dwarf puffers.Tetraodon nigroviridis are commonly referred to green spotted puffers.

Puffers are commonly mislabeled.

For smallers tanks, I highly suggest following the 5g per dwarf puffer rule. For larger systems, you can get away with 3-4g per dwarf puffer. Better filtration does not mean that you can SQUEEZE more dwarf puffers into a tank. Weekly water changes are more imporant than filtration.

Back
Top Bottom