Any tips to make my tank look better.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just upgraded my RES turtle to a 40 gallon breeder so my apple snails get his old 20 gallon long. I'm putting In a background but right now but the actual tank looks really boring. I want to spice it up a bit but I still want my snails to have a lot of space.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394995311.211321.jpg the pic is kind of bad because of the reflection in the background but you get the main idea of the tank.

I would suggest more plants for sure. Very likely fake ones as real plants will probably be bulldozed by those monsters. I would also go with some real driftwood. The log you have on the left just looks... wrong. There aren't any straight lines in nature :)

I would also switch out the gravel from the blue to either a black gravel or black sand. Pool filter sand would look nice as well.

Lastly, I would add a single school of bright active fish. Probably either guppies or neon tetras.

I would suggest more plants for sure. Very likely fake ones as real plants will probably be bulldozed by those monsters. I would also go with some real driftwood. The log you have on the left just looks... wrong. There aren't any straight lines in nature :)

I would also switch out the gravel from the blue to either a black gravel or black sand. Pool filter sand would look nice as well.

Lastly, I would add a single school of bright active fish. Probably either guppies or neon tetras.

I was thinking about changing the gravel but not now because I was at the aquarium store 3 times this week and it just seems kind of weird if I'm there a lot. I have a piece of drift wood I can put in the tank. I'm not adding any fish because I have a strong filter in the tank and it will probably push them around a lot. I was thinking about putting my albino clawed frog in that tank. Thanks for your suggestion.

If it was me I would dump that gravel and just have one large bit of driftwood

You could put one or 2 strong swimming fish in there

Won't the frog bite the snails ?

If it was me I would dump that gravel and just have one large bit of driftwood

You could put one or 2 strong swimming fish in there

Won't the frog bite the snails ?

The albino clawed frogs are very gentle and they don't have good eye sight so they will not purposely attack the snails. I think your right about having a big piece of drift wood but I still want gravel. In my other tanks one has black gravel and the other has brown so i want a different colour but I want it to look natural. I know the blue gravel is not natural at all but that's what I had and I did not want to buy more rocks right away.

You asked

Sand would look better

I don't like sand. It looks beautiful but it's really hard on the filter. In my planted tank I had sand and after a couple months I changed it because it was wearing out my aquaclear filter and it's kind of hard to clean without sucking up the sand. Now I have like a really fine gravel in the tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395002848.961415.jpg these are some of the ordainments I have right now. I'm trying to save as much money possible on this tank by using some of my old ordainments but I probably will by new rocks

If your sand is damaging your filter then you are doing it wrong. You just need to position your intake a little farther away from the substrate and you will be fine. It's also really simple to clean without vaccing any up. Just hover the siphon a inch or two above the substrate and it'll pick up any poo that's sitting on top. Overall it's much easier to keep clean than gravel.

Also, what filter are you running on your tank? Unless your filter is over 300gph in flow I wouldn't worry at all about it being too powerful to keep fish.

More plants would look good, definitely driftwood as been said. Maybe some flat rocks?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395017509.258026.jpg how does it look now? I added a coral rock that I had and put in the background. I'm still deciding drift wood or rock.

It looks better but the school of neon tetras that someone recommended was a good idea

It looks better but the school of neon tetras that someone recommended was a good idea

I'm putting in 2 albino clawed frogs. I really don't want to add fish because I already have one fish tank dedicated to all of my fish and if I were to by fish I would just put them in that tank. Instead of a school of neon tetras I have a school of apple snails.

Back
Top Bottom