Anyone interested in discussing Rainbow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to follow up a little. The problem with feeding rainbows high-protein and fatty foods is that, although they appear to be thriving, they will soon develop health problems. I had difficulty keeping rainbows for more than a year or so before they would start dying off mysteriously. A change to a mainly algae and vegetable matter based diet changed things a lot. The fish looked better, were more active, and lived much longer. Frequent partial water changes also helped a lot. There's a little more on rainbowfish diet here: Keeping Rainbow fish

Tony

Tony
To add to what Tony said. The bows appreciate some actual veggies to. I feed some green beans, wax beans, and a few of them like muskmelon. And large frequent water changes are important for thier health. Hey Tony, have you heard anything of Colin lately? He hasn't been on the RFF for a long time.

No sorry, I haven't heard anything from Colin in a while either. I only make it over to the Rainbowfish Forum every now and then, and mostly just check to see if anyone needs names on any gobies or other non-rainbows. (I figure they already have rainbows pretty well covered!) I hope he's okay.

Tony

After reading this thread and reasherching, I loffically love rainbows! I was thinking about getting some. What is a good species, that is under 3 in., peacful, not too expensive(under 3 each) and colorful and a good beginer fish, I was thinking Australians? In either a 29 or a 50

After reading this thread and reasherching, I loffically love rainbows! I was thinking about getting some. What is a good species, that is under 3 in., peacful, not too expensive(under 3 each) and colorful and a good beginer fish, I was thinking Australians? In either a 29 or a 50

Atm in my 29 I have 2 threadfin's, 1 aussie, 1 neon, and 1 celebes

Speaking of Rainbowfish one of my Bosemanis in QT just got Columnaris after 3 weeks in QT. What's up with that. I added a plant so that may have done it. Stinky thing was I moved the plant to my 75 gallon with all my other fish :( Hope it didn't infect that tank.

Treating QT Fingers Crossed!

Sadly, I had to get rid of my rainbows. They were too mean for my peaceful community tank.

I have been keeping Rainbowfish on and off for 12 years now. I just got my 135G going again after a few years of vacation.

I started back with three Goyder River's, two turquoise and three Bosemani's. I have breed these in the past with much success. I prefer to do this in a separate tank to keep the species alike. I had a few live 7 years which is amazing, but if you take care of the tank conditions many fish will live past there expectancy's published in a book. In the past it seemed the Turquoise were the easiest to breed and this time I'm going to try the Goyder River species.

I read a few posts on this thread about Rainbowfish tank jumpers and I never had that problem. All of my tanks are open top and out of a max of 50 at one time not one of them ever jumped out.

Anyway here is my main tank I built into the wall. The pictures are from about 7-8 years ago and I did have a pair of Angels in there at the time.

img_2241445_0_a48d702eb83d3df86bb8e5a6491d4d21.jpg

I still use the Java fern for the plants and they seem to do well for the fish don't bother them.

Anyway enjoy the hobby of Rainbowfish and I will say they are my favorite fresh water fish:fish2:.

I've looked for 18 months for the perfect fish for my 90gal heavily planted. I've chosen the Signifer Rainbow. How awesome is that! I have 35 of them in a one species only tank. They have such vibrant colors and they shoal!!! I couldn't be more pleased.

They are terrific little fish. I have bred them several times. Throw in some java moss, or make a breeding mop out of yarn and watch for eggs!! If you tank is heavily planted some fry will survive. The only drawback to the blue eyes is a shorter lifespan. I'm sure you will enjoy them:)

Trying to get*Gertrude and *Signifer rainbows to go with my Threadfin and Celebes

I always had luck going to the smaller LFS and getting them to order what I wanted. They are already getting shipments once a week / month anyway and they are happy to combine more fish on the same order to save shipping.

Since I re-entered the hobby I picked up 3 Boesemani and 6 Turquoises from Pet-smart and all are doing well. When I wanted the Goyder River variety I special ordered them on a shipment from a LFS. They were a few bucks more than normal, but I didn't have to go through the expense of the high cost of shipping. Of course if you are getting really special ones that nobody offers then take the lead of foster53 and just go to Aquabid.

All of the LFS around here get there shipments on Wednesday. If it's Pets Mart, Pet Land or the smaller ones they all come on this day. I researched this and in our area they all come from Seagrest Farms in FL.

They do carry the two breeds you mentioned although they say "rarely available"

Here is there link / Wholesale only. Good Luck and keep trying and eventually you will get them!

rainbows - SegrestFarms Small Animal Wholesale and Saltwater Fish Wholesale - Segrest Farms

i had 2 turquoise rainbows with ich that i treated in 3 days. i have a few tips if anyone is in need just reply or pm me thanks.

What's your secret to ICH????

Not so much a secret but more of a guideline many fallow on here. I believe you don't need any medicine if you catch ich early enough. Raise temp to 84 over a 12 hr period. And make sure to airrate the water since higher temps carry less oxygen. Water change with a good vac daily and when last white spot is gone continue for 1 week. Then reverse temp back to normal over another 12 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom