Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anyone used Aquarium Cotton Sponge Biochemical Filtration Pads?

I have an Aqua Clear 50. I use generic sponges, but the ones I used to buy from eBay don't seem to be around any more. I used to get 12 for like $15. But now the only ones out there seem to be 6 for $11. I was hoping that maybe I could find a cheaper alternative and saw Aquarium Cotton Sponge Biochemical Filtration Pads. But I have never used anything like that before and hoping for some advice.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This seems fine for capturing muck and maybe rinsing a couple times and throwing it out.

The sponge (for the bottom spot) which comes with the filter lasts almost forever!

I think it is page 4 for the stock configuration
http://usa.hagen.com/File/ede567c9-4...e-f032a71517e6

Are you throwing the sponges out, the ones that come with the filter?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sponges will last 5-10 years. No need to throw them out. You want 10/20 ppi sponges in your filter or just simple pot scrubbies will last forever. Just don't clean your filter all the time. Only want to clean the sponges with a quick rinse under water every 4-6 months.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #4

I've had my filter for a few years, the original sponge was tossed a long time ago. I try to use the sponges for as long as I can. The pack of 12 I've been going through i bought Spring 2018. I gave some away and down to 3. I guess it would probably just still be cheaper in the long run to buy the 6 pack since it will last me much longer.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #5

Thank you. I've been in the habit of cleaning them when the water starts to slow out the filter fall. But that's good to know. Thank you.

Tags
aquarium, bio, chemi, chemical, cotton, filtration, sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com