Fine particulate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mapleleafkiwi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an AquaOne 980 (215L). Freshwater community tank, set up for approximately 1.5 years.

Fish:
4 yoyo loaches
5 congo tetras
5 black tetras
5 neon tetras
4 cories
2 plecos

About a month ago, my tank started building up fine particulate. I couldn't pinpoint any changes that happened around that time. I have tried many things to fix the problem and none have worked:

1) water changes
2) deep clean of the entire filter system
3) changing the contents and order of materials in my filter baskets (they currently have filter floss on top, then either a sponge or carbon filter, then ceramic noodles, and finally Aqua one micro filter pad). I have wondered about the ceramic noodles disintegrating so put the micro filter pad on the bottom (the last thing the water goes through), and nothing changed
4) Seachem clarity meant to remove pariculate
5) Stopped using flakes during feeding

The tank is heated, has the AquaOne filter and also has a UV light due to a previous algae growth problem. In the last 6 months I introduced my first live floating plants (I don't remember what they're called). It really looks like the particulate is coming out of the filtered water, but this doesn't make sense to me. The filter is running well and plenty of water is moving through it.

Water chemistry is fine, fish are very happy and healthy. I'm just annoyed because it reduces the visibility in the tank.

Help!

Attachments

• 20230626_195922.jpg
    20230626_195922.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230626_195929.jpg
    20230626_195929.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230626_195937.jpg
    20230626_195937.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 15
When was the last time you cleaned out that UV? Is it still getting good flow through it?

If its been running 24/7 the lamp will probably only last a year or so.

Have you previously had to treat for white spot or anything? Even if it was a year ago? Or have you increased the water level.

I think I have a hood like yours (actually only the bottom part as I swapped the lid top with perspex). Them hoods do create hard to reach areas as you can't remove them safely.

I once was doing a water change and overestimated how many buckets I was putting in, increased my water level and it released stuff from hard to reach areas that hadn't been touched by water for a year. Limescale, dust and what I presumed was residue from an old treatment (as that released particles when I treated him).

A deep clean, including putting fine floss in the tank to pick up what it can. I now always cover my outflow exit pipe with fine floss. Change it weekly as it really does catch some muck. Reduces flow quite considerably though which can be detrimental to some fish (some love a big flow).

Back
Top Bottom