API Stress Zyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't find any previous posts about this products. How does this product work, and how well do you rate it?

Then it would be illegal to sell under the trade description act then? Surely it does soemthing?

Well, if you search around this forum for those supposed bacterial suppliments, you'll see about 1 in 10 people that actually claim they've had results.

I'll explain my reasoning... again.

There are 2 main types of bacteria in a tank that is cycled. Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter. Nitrosomonas is the bacteria that eliminates ammonia and, as a by-product, creates nitrite. This is the first bacteria that you'll have when you cycle a tank. Once you start getting nitrite in the aquarium, that's where nitrobacter comes in to play. Basically, it just converts the nitrite to nitrate, rendering it safe for fish. Now, here's where my reasoning comes in to play. Both of these bacteria require 'food' to live. The nitrosomonas requires ammonia, the nitrobacter requires nitrite. If they don't have their 'food', they will soon die. Now, another wrench in the gear. They are also aerobic bacteria. This means they have to have oxygen to live.

So... In a sealed bottle, with no source of ammonia or nitrite... or oxygen, how are they supposed to live? Sure, there may be tons of bacteria in the bottle when it's initially packaged, but what about when you get it home?

There are other bacteria and enzymes that can be bottled that will promote the growth of nitrifying bacteria. Maybe thats what it does?

I use american pond product's bacteria booster in my pond and in my tanks...The stuff works but for smaller systems the 40 dollars a jar price isn't worth it.

By Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec...

Nitrifying bacteria can live in a bottle: for awhile - many think that nitrifying bacteria cannot live in a bottle and will say the reason is because nitrifying bacteria don't form spores like other bacteria. This is a half-truth. Nitrifying bacteria don't form spores but that doesn't mean they can't last in a bottle (think about it - if nitrifying bacteria could not survive poor conditions how would they have survived for millions of years?) They can live in a bottle under optimal conditions for about one year. The nitrifying bacteria don't die in the bottle, their activity level drops and eventually it becomes so minimal that there is little measurable positive effect when they are poured into the aquarium water.

Then it would be illegal to sell under the trade description act then? Surely it does soemthing?

I've come to believe that very few companies are actually telling the truth. They all find some legalese that allows them to make a claim that sounds good but is misleading. It's gotten to the point that when I watch a commercial making fantastic claims on tv I will pause it so I can read the fine print. You will be surprised how much the fine print differs from the "claims" being made in the commercial.

By Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec...

This is assuming that the bacteria in a bottle is stored and shipped in temperatures that would allow it survive... I think the products are generally very hit and miss. You will find 1 person who says a particular product worked great, and another who will say the exact same product did nothing at all. There is no way to tell how it was shipped/stored, and the longer it has been on the shelf, the more diminished its effect on your cycle will become. At the price point for most of these products, I just don't think they are worth it. It is better to just let let nature run its course imo.

Back
Top Bottom