aquaclear 110 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swifterz

Aquarium Advice Activist
was supposed to get a fluval 405 canister yesterday, but the deal fell through.

considering an aquaclear110 HOB. i've heard good things about these. i know they are rated for tanks up to 110g, and have an adjustable flow rate. would one be suficcient for my 75? FYI i have approx. 15 medium-large size african cichlids, a rainbow shark, 2 syndontis cats, and a giant pleco. i'm very good about frequent water changes and cleaning.

my other question is how quiet is the filter?? my wife and i have both been very annoyed by our x2 aqua-tech 30-60's.

Dear Swifterz,

I don't know the specific filtration requirements for the fish in your tank--I only know goldfish...but I think that except for goldies who require 10Xthe gallon size, most other fish require 3X gallon size. The AC 110 is rated for 175-500 g/h, so the AC 110 would meet that requirement and more filtration is usually a good thing.

A HOB is never as quiet as a canister--you hear the sound of the moving water. The AC110 does sound like a small waterfall running at the higher range. I find that relaxing.

Chrs

I run aquaclear 110's an most of my tanks, one would be enough for your 75, but I'd also add an air-driven hydrosponge filter to increase circulation and pick up more debris. They are normally very quiet, occasionally some vibration at the lid if the impeller needs cleaned IME.

Water flow is soothing and not the kind Of the kind of noise I meant. I'm referring to buzzing, rattling, humming from loud running parts. Thanks for the info everyone.

What about an aquatop (sunsun) cf500? Or smaller if your tank is smaller. Cant beat it for the price. I like mine so much that they will be on all my tanks eventually.

this has been a nightmare. so i got the 110, cleaned it, set it up, and went to put it on the tank.. well the tank is too close to the wall. the AQ's were quite a bit shallower. i can't move the tank without draining everything, nor do i want it any further out anyway. so i put the filter on the front for a while today, and i need to find a solution asap. the guy told me i can use his rena xp4 "indefinitely" and i'm trying to get him to sell it to me.

what if you stick the filter on the side?

If you have access to the Rena Canister take it and use it. You will love it. Very quiet and super easy to maintenance. I am running 13 of them, and love em:dance:

I don't think one AC 110 is enough filtration. The box says good for tanks up to 110 gallons, but that is not technically correct. With 500gph (less with decor in your tank), you are better off with 2 AC 110s.

Back
Top Bottom