aquarium gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terryeckel

Aquarium Advice Regular
i'm setting up another tank in a few weeks. can i use pea gravel from lowes if i boil it ?

You could either get play sand or pool filter sand. I like pool filter sand more but make sure you find the white kind.(it looks way better than tan sand) I know home depot carries both and I think Lowes would too.

terryeckel said:
i'm setting up another tank in a few weeks. can i use pea gravel from lowes if i boil it ?
If you decide to get the pea gravel it doesn't need to be boiled IMO, generally rocks that come from garden supply stores don't need to be boiled, just rinse it well in hot water to get excess dust etc. off.

terryeckel said:
play sand from lowes ?

Play sand will work well in an aquarium, but it can contain elements of clay so it needs to be rinsed really well.

butterfly_koi said:
If you decide to get the pea gravel it doesn't need to be boiled IMO, generally rocks that come from garden supply stores don't need to be boiled, just rinse it well in hot water to get excess dust etc. off.

Play sand will work well in an aquarium, but it can contain elements of clay so it needs to be rinsed really well.

I totally agree. Only thing is that I didn't know you could use that in a aquarium and I spent £40 on just sand! What I'm saying is get play sand, it's very natural looking and cheaper.

YAY! I have a tip. I've been sucking info off the forum here for a week or so and feeling a little bad because there's not much I can help with since I'm still learning alot myself - but this one I can give you a tip about!

Check with the local dollar stores for rocks. If you're going to use pebbles from Lowe's ( we love Lowe's btw ) then you might want a few colored rocks to kinda make things more interesting. Sometimes the local dollar store ( Big Lots, etc.) will have decorative rocks in small packs for a buck or two. I have some black ones that worked great to liven up a plain, natural bottom.

They break up the other rock, give the fish some hiding places and the best part is they are cheap if you can find them. :)

I just put the sand in a 5g bucket added water then swirl it around , pour the water out then put the sand in the tank.

Just a word to the wise FishAngler, be very careful about the "colored" rock that you put into your aquariums. If the right type of paint isn't used, it can come off in the water and become toxic for your fish. I know you can get some great deals from the dollar store, I go there myself, but remember, most of it comes from overseas and they really don't care what they use in their products. I won't even use colored gravel you buy from the pet shop because the color comes off.

Pea gravel will work, but what kind of tank is it? Gravel that large and round will let a good amount of food, fish poop, etc. sink between the stones, and a gravel vac may have issues moving it around during cleaning if it's a larger pea size.

Back
Top Bottom