Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquarium Heat

My aquarium is around 84 degrees right now. I turned down my heater and everything but I think it's just the aquariums condition. Heater has been off for a while. Any way to bring down temperature without using chillers or spending a lot of money?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPhilly25 View Post
My aquarium is around 84 degrees right now. I turned down my heater and everything but I think it's just the aquariums condition. Heater has been off for a while. Any way to bring down temperature without using chillers or spending a lot of money?
Is your heater set at about 78-79, and just due to the heat of the day it rises?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
If your heater is set to that, you can obviously turn it down. If that is just room temperature, though, not much you can do. I have found that moving tanks to the basement can help avoid some of the warm temperatures you get upstairs. My downstairs tanks are around 75-77 w/o a heater, the ones upstairs are usually 78-82.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I noticed my parents saying my room was really hot and I should leave my door open. I felt the water and the top felt warm but the bottoms felt cool to me. But I must be honest, I think I'm more accustomed to heat then most people. I mean, I went running yesterday in 97 degree heat and broke a small sweat. (Which I was hydrated) My ceiling is on full blast but that may not be enough. I tested my thermometer in the tub with super hot water and in the sink with cold water to make sure it works. It moved a up and down with the temps so I'm sure it's not broken. The tank has been at a constant 84 degrees and I'm sure that's to hot for most tropical fish.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Can you turn the temperature down in the house? It would keep the tank from overheating. Are your fish showing any signs of stress?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post
If your heater is set to that, you can obviously turn it down. If that is just room temperature, though, not much you can do. I have found that moving tanks to the basement can help avoid some of the warm temperatures you get upstairs. My downstairs tanks are around 75-77 w/o a heater, the ones upstairs are usually 78-82.
I turned the heater down and it cut off. Are there any office fans that I can clip to the tank?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
Can you turn the temperature down in the house? It would keep the tank from overheating. Are your fish showing any signs of stress?
Luckily, no fish! I haven't cycled yet either. All my materials I need for cycling will be in this coming week!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Several years ago I put a small fan on a desk angled towards my tank's water surface to lower the temperature. It did help some, however that was only a 5g. Not sure how much it would work on a larger tank, unless you got a much larger fan.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Dad is saying its my lights, but they are only two 25 watt T8 florescent bulbs. I wouldn't think it would be that because it gives me just barely half a watt per gallon.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPhilly25 View Post
My Dad is saying its my lights, but they are only two 25 watt T8 florescent bulbs. I wouldn't think it would be that because it gives me just barely half a watt per gallon.
The lights will give off some heat, but I wouldnt think it would be enough to noticeably raise the tank temperature.

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com