Aragonite Sand help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im new a this, so i got a new 20 gal tank and am making it a freshwater tank. I bought Aragonite sand, not researching it first. I am currently 2 days into my fishless cycle, and am hearing that the sand may be a bad choice....... I want to make this a dwarf puffer tank. I know that this sand will raise the pH, and other stuff too. Im looking for dwarf puffer and aragonite experts for some advice. I really dont want to restart this tank, will i be okay? What should i do. Again a respect opinions and ideas, but im looking for the facts, im looking for the experts. Thank you

i also read that driftwood can help lower ph...perhaps this can help act against the aragonite, even if its minimal, im sure it will help. I live in Canada, with pet stores like Petland, Petcetera, petmart, world of pets.... know anywhere good to get driftwood?

The best source for good info about whether the aragonite will drive pH too high for dwarf puffers would probably be found by going to Dwarf Puffers and posting the question about pH in the forums there. Basically every person on those forums is a puffer owner so I am sure between all of them they have tried puffers in almost any combination of water parameters possible.

today i bought some malasian drift wood for the tank, i know it reduces ph so im hoping counteracts the sand a tad. I talked to people on the puffer chat, and most felt aragonite sand would be fine for puffers. They have found that they strive from 7-8 pH so im shooting for that level. My cycle is going well.

Have you started breeding snails for your DPs yet? Never too early to start with that. Get one of those 5 gallon plastic buckets from Home Depot etc., fill it with water (you can even dechlorinate for good measure), then go down to your local LFS and buy a few lives plants (something low-light and reasonably fast-growing works well, anacharis is ideal if they have it) and ask the employee if he/she wouldn't mind throwing in a few snails from the tank the plants are in. Pond snails, trapdoor snails, ramshorns...all of them make fine food for DPs. Throw the plants and snails in the bucket, keep the bucket somewhere it will be roughly room temperature and get enough sunlight to keep the plants alive, and you're in business. You can occasionally even feed the bucket if you want, but typically between the plants (esp. the dead leaves) and the algae that grows from the sunlight the bucket gets, your snails will do fine for food. If you find you are using snails faster than they are reproducing, all you need to do is start feeding the bucket some and the snail population will respond in kind!

No i haven't. I figured id have time while my tank is cycling, but i suppose your right, its never to early to start. Ill get on that right away. Thanks alot

today i got the snails...they arnt any of the kinds you listed though..i think their name starts with a C, and have more of a longer spiral shell?

today i got the snails...they arnt any of the kinds you listed though..i think their name starts with a C, and have more of a longer spiral shell?

Spiral, like an ice cream cone? Like the top two pictures on this page? If so you got MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails). Those would work too though the folks on the puffer forum warn against putting tiny ones in the DP tank as the shells are hard enough to break their teeth. Pond snails and ramshorns are easier for the puffers to get to, and their shells are soft enough that should a puffer bite down on the shell, no harm done. If you bought some live plants, odds are you have at least pond snail eggs in the plants and will likely start seeing pond snails in a week or so.

i think thats what i have... even though i know they start with a C...at least thats what he said... i took thsoe snails out and am leaving the plants in by themelves...ill go get some of the other can asap. Thanks a bunch

Got some new snails, I'm pretty sure some are pond snails and some ramshorns. I put them in the pail with plants and everything is working good. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom