aragonite substrate (sand pittttttttttttt)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
okkkkkkkkkkk, does anyone know how much aragonite sand will increase ph?

I bought a couple of kilo's of it the other day, and currently have some in a bucket with the water i use for my aquarium, trying an experiment to see how much the pH increases.
I tested it yesterday and it had put up the pH from 6.2-6.6 almost within the first 15mins.

I want sand for my bottom dwellors, however it has become increasing apparent that i'm not gonna be able to fidn exactly what i need in my area.

however, i'll go test it now and repost what i find, fingers crossed..

You can use pool filter sand and it will not effect the pH levels in the tank. If you want to increase the pH, just use some crushed coral in the filter.

cool.

but the plan is to avoid a sudden, drastic rise in ph when i place some aragonite in my tank.

my main concern is with my dwarf neon rainbows.. and spiny nosed-eel (who this is all for, lol)

the increase in pH is by 1.0

Pool filter sand will not increase the pH at all. Crushed coral being added will not cause a sudden drastic change either. That is something that will take a few weeks to see the ultimate change. I"m afraid that the aragonite sand will be bringing your pH up too high.

I put crushed coral in my filter almost 2 weeks ago, and just now starting to see a small change in kh. As the kh starts to rise, so will the ph, but very slowly.

thanks for the help guys :)

not gonna put the aragonite sand in, but i still need to find an alternative sand to use, and it'd be nice to get some that isn't so white as this aragonite is.

alright alright alright fishy fantastic, your absoultuely fantastic for stating that in your previous post, lol, geeeeez, i'll use pool filter sand, lol

Back
Top Bottom