Arapaima Gigas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
anyone own one of these monsters? I fell in love with this fish when I first saw it, truely remarkable, post your pics if you have any or your thoughts on a fish that gets up to 15 feet long and 500 lbs lol

This guy makes Pacus look like guppies. I've never actually seen one offered in an lfs.

I have a proven pair in my 10 gallon tank. They have really grown to their surroundings!

LOL just kidding.

I have seen them offered at a LFS here in Phx before. They had two in a tank together (about 8 inches) and they were being offered for $250/fish. They were there for several months and eventually were marked down to $200. On a recent visit, they were gone so I don't know if someone bought them or what. I would always spend a few minutes admiring them everytime I went. They were extremely active and curious fish. Best kept in the wild if you ask me.

I agree even though they are amazing I think they grow way to fast and with that kinda muscle some serious dammage could be done to a tank

Not very many people have or would build a tank large enough for those monsters. I saw a few pics on another site a while back, some guy in CA had built a really huge floor-to-ceiling setup into his house, L-shaped, that holds several thousand gallons of water. Cost was way too much for the average fish keeper. He had a small boat to maintain the tank, said the fish, including an arapaima, had bitten holes in the inflatable rubber boat he started with.
A friend who owns an lfs had one for a while, until someone forgot to cover the tank after feeding. It jumped out during the night.
They would be a safe fish to keep with a few tiger shovelnose, at least the catfish wouldn't have arapaima for dinner.
The link to the 50,000 gal tank is posted on the forum, if you want to take a look.

Back
Top Bottom