are red worms the same as bloodworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
because theres this fishing lure vending machine at walmart and it says "red worms" do yo guys think their live bloodworms?

do not feed ur fish thoes worms. most of them are dyed with flouresent paints. And there not bloodworms.

This is taken from another website...

Bloodworms are larvae of the midge family Chironomidae (Order Diptera, Class Insecta). Midges are mosquito-like insects. There may be more than 2000 species but only a small number have been formerly identified. Not all chironomid larvae are red in colour. While the most common ones are red, they can also be green, brown, or black. Also some are transparent and are commonly known as Glassworms. However, only those that contain haemoglobin are red and hence the name Bloodworm.

do not feed your fish those worms.
I agree. I feed mine bloodworms and there is no way that I can see them being used as bait. Well, maybe in some sort of trap, but not on a hook...

oh just wondering because i havent seen any aquarium live food besides earthworms. lol ive been meaning to ask this but never got the chance 8O

Bloodworms

ferret said:
bloodworms aren't actually worms I believe, but a larvae of some sort.

There are bloodworms that look like giant centipedes. They are used by fishermen on the Jersey shore for various game fish. Bloodworms used as aquarium food are larvae - they are NOT the same as tubifex, black or glassworms. - Frank/Guppyman

Back
Top Bottom