Are rubber bands harmful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambinojake

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any time i get a new fish i cant seem to get the rubber bands off of the bag. So i just cut them off, and i am worried that some pieces of the rubber bands may have fallen into the tank. Could they harm my fish???

Any time i get a new fish i cant seem to get the rubber bands off of the bag. So i just cut them off, and i am worried that some pieces of the rubber bands may have fallen into the tank. Could they harm my fish???

Nah, they won't harm anything. In fact rubber bands are commonly used to secure freshly fragged corals and just allowed to dissolve in the aquarium.

I've used a rubber band to secure moss, it was in the tank so long it snapped.. my apisto than picked it up in his mouth and whipped a Z into the sand.. i refuse to call him zorro though, beginners luck..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just so you know, the way fish stores normally bag fish allows you to just pull the top part of the bag above the rubber band and the rubber band pops off.

Rubber Bands

Hello Bam...

Rubber bands dissolve in the tank and won't cause any water chemistry problems. Many use them for attaching plants to pieces of lava rock or driftwood.

Small fish can on rare occasions ingest a small piece or length of rubber band and that will present a problem. I've had to remove a length of thin rubber band from a Guppy's mouth, but I have hundreds of them in large tanks and it rarely happens.

It's nothing to fret over.

B

I use a rubber band to attach slices of cucumber and zucchini to a rock when I feed my loaches. No problems at all so far.

I've used a rubber band to secure moss, it was in the tank so long it snapped.. my apisto than picked it up in his mouth and whipped a Z into the sand.. i refuse to call him zorro though, beginners luck..

I think you're pretty much obligated to call him zoro.... Just saying.

I think you're pretty much obligated to call him zoro.... Just saying.

I'll drop an grape and toothpick in there.. if he can pin it from across the tank we can talk nick names;)

There's an idea!

Back
Top Bottom