Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
fishboy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Posts: 365
Are we moraly wrong?

I just saw the movie Cove.... I witnessed one of the most devasting acts of human...Dolphins arebeing slaughtered from September-March... It's obvious that that's moraly wrong..... My question is, are we moraly wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know that it's not thier natural habitat?

__________________
fishboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,885
Sorry if I am missing your point, but I do not see the connection between these issues. Also, many people do not find that morally wrong. Morals are subjective. I am certainly not saying I agree with the practices shown in The Cove, but it is not a given that its immoral to everybody.
But, my answer is that I do not think it is morally wrong to keep fish in tanks. As long as we give them space to grow, proper food, clean water, and do not subject them to excess stress, I personally see nothing wrong with it. Just because it is not their natural habitat does not mean it is wrong. Aquarium keeping provides people with joy, gives some local populations a chance to sell fish in order to make a living, teaches people about fish, allows for captive breeding programs that even extent to fish species which are extinct in the wild. Of course, not everybody is a responsible fish-keeper, but I think I am and I not in any way consider that immoral. JMO though.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,046
Fishkeeping is inherently selfish, but keeping pets in general is. With that said I don't find a moral objection to it when it is done with care.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
severum mama's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: GA
Posts: 10,296
Dolphins are not fish. This is an apples-to-oranges comparison.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,911
Well, I can't help but hope that one day everyone will think slaughtering dolphins is immoral. IMO animal cruelty is one of the most heinous things humans are doing on this planet, right after human cruelty, of course.

But as to your question, I don't feel great about keeping wild caught fish. I do have some, and I tend to feel a bit guilty about it. I hope to turn that around by breeding said fish, if possible, and selling tank bred versions. But I really don't like it, and feel a thousand times better about purchasing tank bred fish. I'm really a total bleeding heart for all creatures. I will from time to time look at my parakeets in their cage or my turtle in his tank and wonder..should they even be pets? And who can really say? If we're asking ourselves these questions, chances are we really care about our pets and our taking excellent care of them. I think that's what it all comes down to. Those not taking proper care of their pet, whatever the pet may be, are those who are doing something morally wrong.

There are tons of things about the pet trade that drive me nuts. I do think things could be done better, in a way that's more repsectful to all living beings.
__________________
siva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon state, Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy87 View Post
I just saw the movie Cove.... I witnessed one of the most devasting acts of human...Dolphins arebeing slaughtered from September-March... It's obvious that that's moraly wrong..... My question is, are we moraly wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know that it's not thier natural habitat?
I understand that actually seeing the events and practices documented in the movie can make a person reconsider and re-evaluate how animals are treated, including aquarium animals.

And that's probably what led you to ponder whether we are morally wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know it is not their natural habitat. No, I don't think it's wrong to keep them outside their natural habitat.

However, it does make me sad to know many live in bad unhealthy conditions, suffer and die. I don't read the "unhealthy fish" forum anymore, it's too sad, in part because most, or maybe almost all of it is preventable.

If anything, we may be morally wrong for not insisting that the whole industry from breeders to stores to ourselves improve how we treat and care for our fish.
__________________
CatmanDru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orange Beach, Alabama
Posts: 19,407
How is that any different than killing ants, pet birds, mice?
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,046
I've never understood the dolphin/whale thing, apart from overharvesting, why can't they be eaten again? Apart from cultural upbringing, what makes people view them different from a cow or something else that we readily eat?
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I've never understood the dolphin/whale thing, apart from overharvesting, why can't they be eaten again? Apart from cultural upbringing, what makes people view them different from a cow or something else that we readily eat?
I agree with you jeta but the argument behind it is that they are self aware non human "beings" like chimps which is kinda understandable
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

I agree with you jeta but the argument behind it is that they are self aware non human "beings" like chimps which is kinda understandable
+1. I think that's the main problem behind it. They are more intelligent than a cow or sheep or whatever, therefore have different feelings. They may feel pain like us where as a less intelligent animal might not. Not saying less intelligent animals don't feel pain of course.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,046
Its just a weird argument to me. Pigs are crazy smart and closely related to us, at least enough to use some of their organs for transplant, but I love me some bacon.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Ya don't get me wrong if its got a pulse fry it up and ill try it lol... but on a more serious note some of the animals which are an issue are also endangered or close to becoming endangered so unless you don't have means to another food source like some tribes in new Zealand I feel as though you shouldnt eat or kill such creatures because they do it out of necessity and use every part of the creature
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
fishboy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanDru

I understand that actually seeing the events and practices documented in the movie can make a person reconsider and re-evaluate how animals are treated, including aquarium animals.

And that's probably what led you to ponder whether we are morally wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know it is not their natural habitat. No, I don't think it's wrong to keep them outside their natural habitat.

However, it does make me sad to know many live in bad unhealthy conditions, suffer and die. I don't read the "unhealthy fish" forum anymore, it's too sad, in part because most, or maybe almost all of it is preventable.

If anything, we may be morally wrong for not insisting that the whole industry from breeders to stores to ourselves improve how we treat and care for our fish.
I was sad the animals being killed and salughter so viciously... The thing that I don't undersad is that... Dolphin is not high on the supply and demand scale.... I beleive the number was 23000 dolphins between sept-march....(mind you we are in November).... Why are they bein killed?I guess it's just hard for me to see animals being to violently acted against.... In japan they say they kill bc it's considered "pest control"..their excuse is that dolphins eat other fish that is collapsing the marine wild life which then links to suffering fisheries.....the japan gov labels dolphin meat as other meats in order to sell them... It's really confusing to me..... I kills me to hear them screaming as they are being killed.....
__________________
fishboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,816
I would not kill dolphins and find it a reprehensible cowardly act.... why do humans do it? Because they can.

I do not feel that fishkeeping is at all related to this, as I have only tank-raised fish. My dogs are all rescues that would otherwise be euthanized.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
nextgeneration40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 125
Another angle at which to look at it from the aquarist aspect is the fact that the natural habitat of some (sadly becoming more) species of popular aquarium fish are being destroyed to build yet another cul-de-sac condo, some of the only options short of extinction IS IN an aquarium, being fed,heated and cared for in the only environment left for them. (look on wiki and see how many popular fish breeds are endangered...)
__________________
26G BF, fish-in cycling,(Aqueon 30)(Soon to be AC70) 3 GloFish, 2 Peppered Corys
90G,fishless cycle, (AquaClear 110 & Aqueon 75) (my MTS flared)
Both Tanks: Prime,API Kits,Not Planted
Don't remember the question, the answer is large PWC's, Prime, and OVERfiltering...
nextgeneration40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Nomadu571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 514
Do you feel morally wrong for keeping dogs? Or cats? All pets are originally wild animals, domesticated are they not?
__________________
Nomadu571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
I would not kill dolphins and find it a reprehensible cowardly act.... why do humans do it? Because they can.

I do not feel that fishkeeping is at all related to this, as I have only tank-raised fish. My dogs are all rescues that would otherwise be euthanized.
Reconsider your wording. While it may be reprehensible, I doubt it can be called cowardly....
__________________
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scouser on tour, Scarborough UK
Posts: 1,828
I didnt feel wrong for giving my dog the best life he can ask for.

I didn't feel wrong when we had to have him put down due to having cancer and peeing blood.

If he was a wild animal he would've suffered alone with that, instead he had a loving family there to care for him.

"Morality and ethicality" are what a person decides for themselves really
__________________
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Reconsider your wording. While it may be reprehensible, I doubt it can be called cowardly....
I believe it is cowardly. To me personally, that represents that they are doing it because they can. You may feel free to use another word to represent your own thoughts, but please leave mine as they are written. Thanks.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scouser on tour, Scarborough UK
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
I believe it is cowardly. To me personally, that represents that they are doing it because they can. You may feel free to use another word to represent your own thoughts, but please leave mine as they are written. Thanks.
i would have to agree that in a way it is cowardly, not the fact they do kill them but for the fact they hide behind excuses for killing them.

I have seen documentaries on this subject and one of the main reasons is scientific research.

what does the slaughter of 23000 dolphins bring to light? that they are easy to kill?

just my 2 cents
__________________
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishless cycle help!!! What did i do wrong? Tiger1 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 9 11-07-2011 08:20 PM
What am i doing wrong?? powermatt5000 Member Introductions 19 08-31-2011 12:38 AM
Can you do the API Nitrite test wrong? pookawolf Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 08-28-2011 09:47 AM
Balloon ram. What am I doing wrong? furrymurray Cichlid Discussion 14 08-11-2011 07:24 AM
I was just wondering if my test kit could be wrong? Chris-Nicol Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 08-10-2011 02:45 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.