Automatic Feeder help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elpez

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

Can anybody honestly help me select an automatic feeder for my 80 G tank ? I am tired of reading reviews were they all have different opinions.
I would like to keep it under 30 bucks.

Thanks in advance

Truth, I've tried two or three different models and found that they all tend to give too much food even on the lowest setting. Also, because they are so close to the tank the food often gets damp and clumpy and will become mouldy if left.

Can I ask why you are interested in one?

Hello,

Can anybody honestly help me select an automatic feeder for my 80 G tank ? I am tired of reading reviews were they all have different opinions.
I would like to keep it under 30 bucks.

Thanks in advance

I don't have one, but most threads / posts i've come across say they are more trouble than their worth.

If your looking to get one because your going away for a week ... I'd say don't bother. Fish can go a week without eating ... Maybe two.. After that, it would be pushing it.

Unless you have fry, I wouldn't worry about feeding. Or if you'll be gone more than a week. IMO those things are garbage, as well as the pyramid things.

Thanks everybody for your input. I see that you are all in agreenment, which is good.
To answer one the questions,I was looking into these things because I'll be going away for two to three weeks. Otherwise I would not get one, feeding my fish is one of my favorite times with the aquarium. When I get back from work I make myself a cup of coffee, seat in front of my aquarium and watch them eat.
I guess I'll have to make my own feeder. I'll think of something. Ideas are always welcome.

Thanks again!

I have an automatic feeder for my 55 galling tank. It works great for me. Never had a problem with and I've been using for over a year.

+1. I use the Fish Mate Automatic Feeder when I go on vacation, love it! Its reliable and I get to put however much I want to put in it and adjust time accordingly. Its reliable and the airline tubing keeps all food dry under humid conditions. I always hook mine up wnen I leave on vacation. Lets face it, humans can go up to 30 days with no food but do u really want to do it? I love my fish and even just a little food during the week is better than starving them and risking their lives, IMO.

Thanks again!
I'll check that one out. I haven't seen it in yet.
And I guess you are right too, even if it works too a certsin extent it would be better than no food. I also dont want to overfeed and find my fish dead when I get back.

That's a long time. I would definitely find one with humidity control. I looked at some awhile ago and the only ones I saw with mostly good reviews were kind of expensive for my taste. I would recommend you install it in advance so that you have plenty of time to monitor it, making sure it doesn't feed to much or that the food doesn't clump from humidity.

Thanks Christine, if I get one I'll definatelly test it as soon as I get it.

Ok, enheim is the bomb. It's got everything you could possibly need. 4 timers, with 2 rotations each, opening settings, etc. It's perfect. It's been running for a month now with no issues.

Elpez said:
Ok, enheim is the bomb. It's got everything you could possibly need. 4 timers, with 2 rotations each, opening settings, etc. It's perfect. It's been running for a month now with no issues.

+1 on that, I used these about a month ago for two weeks - when I came back the food was still bone dry. It has a built in fan that works when it's feeding, and as stated plenty of feeding options, can be set on top of the tank secured with brackets supplied. I suggest running the feeders for a week while you are still there to ensure you are not over feeding, 3 weeks over feeding and you will have serious problems - getting it right is the hard part.

Back
Top Bottom