Automatic feeder question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have a recommendation for a high quality, large format automatic feeder? A friend of mine has a 90Gal freshwater with about 8 large (4"-5") convict cichlids and a big pleco that are fed large floating pellets. He says he's tried several auto feeders but they seem to be too small to handle the larger format foods. I've also suggested feeding them a cucumber or two to tide them over for a long weekend... Thanks for the help guys!

If he is only going away for a long weekend there is no reason to feed at all. The fish will be just fine without food for 3 or 4 days.

Yeah. any good, large format feeder is gonna be like $60.
I'd just feed the monring he leaves, and then again the day he gets back.

our fish pets get more food in captivity than they would in the wild, so they won't starve.

Agreed, skip feeding for short periods. Actually, if I had a large tank, I would use two or more smaller feeders for longer times away. If one failed, then the other(s) would at least be dispensing something. A fish sitter once or twice a week while away is the best idea, but if not possible, take your chances with the auto feeders.

I've only heard horror stories about those auto feeders. Your friend should find a friend to feed them. Thats what I do when I'm away. They don't even have to know about fish. Just tell them exactly the amount to feed.

Auto feeders can be great. Tony Starks only uses them. He doesn't even feed his fish, lets the feeders do it for him. It takes the fun out of feeding time, but when you are leaving for a vacation, it's a good option. For short time periods less than a week, the fish can go without food.

If your the kind of person that cant keep a regular schedule (guilty here :biglol:) then automating everything you can will be better for the fish.. that includes timers for your lights and auto-feeders is another good option.. I would like to have them up and running for a good amount of time to make sure they are reliable before leaving them alone for a long vacation but that could be the cautious side of me talking.. hope this helps.. :p

Back
Top Bottom