Back with a new question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarisaB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You guys helped me out a lot in my questions about what fish I could keep with my one single cichlid in his new 60 gallon tank. I got the most suggestions for zebra danios and tiger barbs. So I got a school of 12 zebra danios and 12 tiger barbs.

So in my tank I now have the following:

10 tiger barbs (lost two first day)
11 zebra danios (one first day gone)
1 zebra cichlid at 5 1/2 inches.

So far things are GREAT. The cichlid stays to the bottom, the tiger barbs the middle and the danios at the top. The cichlid does sometimes like to chase the smaller guys but not much at all. Everyone eats well and aggresion aside from chasing has been minimal.

My filter is for a 110 gallon tank, while my tank is only 60 gallons. And I do a weekly 25% or more water change. I have a huge amazon sword thats growing well that my cichlid has ignored....also some hygrow in there which he also doesn't seem interested in.

My question is, while I do NOT want to cram my tank FULL....I saw Green Tiger barbs today and I LOVE them. Can I fit any of these in the tank? Will they school with the regular tiger barbs or would have I have to buy 6 or more of the green ones and can I even do that in my tank?

I 100% will not if its even close to too many fish. I'd rather have some that are healthy than tons that are not.

thanks for your time in advance.

I'd bump up your weekly water changes to 50% and then add 6 Green Barbs. I think (don't quote me on this though) that the Greens will school with the Tiger Barbs....I think. :) Good luck! I bet that is a lively tank now!

Great pick on the tiger barbs! I love these fish, everyone on these forums always puts them aside saying they are to aggressive and what no. Very interesting fish to watch.

Anyways, I have heard that the barbs will school fine. And I agree, the green barbs are beautiful. However, I am not sure how more aggressive the green barbs are, if anything the tiger barbs are the most aggressive. But I am new to this hobby and probably wrong :lol: .

The barbs need alot of swimming room, so I can't comment on if it would be overstocking your tank or not. Have to wait for a veteran on that, sorry.

Hi

Thanks for the help so far.

Basically if I purchased 6 Green Tiger Barbs, my new count would be 27 two inch or so long fish (Well they arent all two inches yet, but eventually accounting for growth!) And one 5 and a half inch cichlid.

I want them badly but I am just wondering if it's pushing it. But thanks for the advice so far. I wouldn't have a problem doing a 50% change once per week if that would make the situation happy and healthy for all the fish. But if it's just making it crammed I'll hold off.

The idiots at my local fish store are no help at all.

I'm guessing that you are using the Aquaclear 110 HOB filter. If so, that is a great filter. In that case, if you are willing to up your water changes to 50% a week (and it sounds like you are willing, from your other posts that tell us how much you love your cichlid!), then go ahead and add a few green tiger barbs. They are the same species as your regular TBs, puntius tetrazona, and IME they will all school together. Your tank sounds very active and exciting! Please post pics!:)

Ok; it's an african filter?

:roll:

Anyways yes that's the filter I have. I also have a MUCH smaller model that I use on the other side of the tank because Gary (my cichlid) eats from the slow gentle output. It pushes the food down to the bottom for him. Yeah he is spoiled sick rotten.

Anyways thanks for all the help so far! I have taken some pics already but none came out very good! Edit to add:

O.k. here are two terrible photos I just took of the tank. LOL

You can see Gary there waiting for his breakfast. But you cannot see any of the danios or barbs really. Anyways behind the large peice of wood is more swimming space. Sometimes Gary hides back there but he spends most of the time in his barrel (one of those underwater decorative barrels) or protecting the barrel.

2000913680073316319_rs.jpg

2000974837867335083_rs.jpg

:D You can also see the name tag picture I painted for Gary! HAHA Yeah I know I am nutty for this guy.

Back
Top Bottom