Bacterial bloom from driftwood won't go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farnaby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I just recently (3 weeks ago) setup a 15 gallon column tank. Unfortunately I fell for the ol' "get some fish in there ASAP" pitch from the pet store, kind of. I knew that ASAP wasn't correct so I set my tank up (using Seachem Prime and Stability), added some plants, purchased an AquaClear 30 gallon filter, installed a heater, and decided to wait a bit. After searching high and low, I finally found a nice piece of driftwood to finish my "aquascaping." I knew to expect some tannin taint, but about a day later I noticed a white algae-esque ickiness growing on the wood and it eventually spread to my plants and gravel. After researching this substance, I learned that it was not uncommon and would go away by itself. Shortly thereafter, I added a Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami. A few days later, the bacteria bloom started.

Now, 10 days later, my tank is almost completely white. At first I thought it was just particulates from the white stuff on the wood but now I'm 100% sure it's a bacterial bloom. My theory is the bacteria are feeding on the new found nutrients introduced by the driftwood and they will not go away.

My biggest concern is not the fact that my water is ugly, but that the bloom is devouring all of the oxygen in the water. I notice that my DG goes up for air quite often, but having never had a DG before, I'm not sure if that's normal or conformation of my concern.

All of that said... please help! I've left the driftwood in thus far because I keep reading "oh, it will go way!" Now I'm not so sure and I plan to remove it tonight. I've done about 4 30-40% PWCs since putting in my DG and if anything, it's only fed the bloom.

I've read of only two things helping with bacterial bloom: time and UV sterilizers. Unfortunately I feel like I'm running out of the former and the latter isn't cheap.

Thoughts, recommendations, ideas, etc etc?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

It's better to boil bogwood/driftwood especially if its a piece like Redmoor root first before adding it to the tank, its sound like you have a fungus growing on it and a bacterial bloom in the water at the same time, both look very different. A bacterial bloom is very normal in a new tank, the fungus should be removed.
Gouramis breath at the surface via a labyrinth organ.

Hello!

I just recently (3 weeks ago) setup a 15 gallon column tank. Unfortunately I fell for the ol' "get some fish in there ASAP" pitch from the pet store, kind of. I knew that ASAP wasn't correct so I set my tank up (using Seachem Prime and Stability), added some plants, purchased an AquaClear 30 gallon filter, installed a heater, and decided to wait a bit. After searching high and low, I finally found a nice piece of driftwood to finish my "aquascaping." I knew to expect some tannin taint, but about a day later I noticed a white algae-esque ickiness growing on the wood and it eventually spread to my plants and gravel. After researching this substance, I learned that it was not uncommon and would go away by itself. Shortly thereafter, I added a Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami. A few days later, the bacteria bloom started.

Now, 10 days later, my tank is almost completely white. At first I thought it was just particulates from the white stuff on the wood but now I'm 100% sure it's a bacterial bloom. My theory is the bacteria are feeding on the new found nutrients introduced by the driftwood and they will not go away.

My biggest concern is not the fact that my water is ugly, but that the bloom is devouring all of the oxygen in the water. I notice that my DG goes up for air quite often, but having never had a DG before, I'm not sure if that's normal or conformation of my concern.

All of that said... please help! I've left the driftwood in thus far because I keep reading "oh, it will go way!" Now I'm not so sure and I plan to remove it tonight. I've done about 4 30-40% PWCs since putting in my DG and if anything, it's only fed the bloom.

I've read of only two things helping with bacterial bloom: time and UV sterilizers. Unfortunately I feel like I'm running out of the former and the latter isn't cheap.

Thoughts, recommendations, ideas, etc etc?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to see pictures of this. Sounds bad. But I don't think it's harmful. Take what you can out and wash it. Also do some water changes.

Did you soak or boil the DW?

I'd like to see pictures of this. Sounds bad. But I don't think it's harmful. Take what you can out and wash it. Also do some water changes.

Did you soak or boil the DW?
I'll work on getting a picture. The driftwood is about 25 inches long so I was unable to boil it. I did soak it for a day (not long enough, I know).

It's better to boil bogwood/driftwood especially if its a piece like Redmoor root first before adding it to the tank, its sound like you have a fungus growing on it and a bacterial bloom in the water at the same time, both look very different. A bacterial bloom is very normal in a new tank, the fungus should be removed.
Gouramis breath at the surface via a labyrinth organ.
Oh it's definitely fungus and bacterial bloom. I'm about to work on the fungus. Unfortunately, it's everywhere.

As far as labyrinth fish are concerned, it is my understanding that they can breath from the surface but that they don't always do so. That is why I am concerned with his frequent trips to the top. Also, labyrinth fish are not born with their labyrinth organ so I was a bit concerned that maybe his isn't fully developed. I will say that frequent trips to the surface aside, he looks great.

No labored breathing, lots of exploration and he's eating.

Not all UV sterilizers cost an arm and a leg. I've heard many people here on forum talk about using this... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO. I have a large in line UV sterilizer that runs 24/7 in my 220g and they do work wonders for bacterial blooms. Just something to think about.

I've also heard people on here talk about spot treating the fungus with Flourish Excel and that it did indeed work. You would pull up 2-3ml of Excel for every 10 gallons of tank water in a needless syringe and then slowly squirt it directly on the fungus as close to it as possible. If it's all over the tank you'd have to do that an area at a time each day since you can only use the above amount safely. It's worth a try IMO if you can't take the wood out and boil it. The Excel is also a good liquid carbon for plant photosynthesis and growth.

Not all UV sterilizers cost an arm and a leg. I've heard many people here on forum talk about using this... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO. I have a large in line UV sterilizer that runs 24/7 in my 220g and they do work wonders for bacterial blooms. Just something to think about.

I've also heard people on here talk about spot treating the fungus with Flourish Excel and that it did indeed work. You would pull up 2-3ml of Excel for every 10 gallons of tank water in a needless syringe and then slowly squirt it directly on the fungus as close to it as possible. If it's all over the tank you'd have to do that an area at a time each day since you can only use the above amount safely. It's worth a try IMO if you can't take the wood out and boil it. The Excel is also a good liquid carbon for plant photosynthesis and growth.
I like this Excel idea... two birds, one stone! I looked on Amazon and found a few uv filters in the 20-30 dollar range, but the Green Killing Machine is on sale. Hmmmm....

The funny thing is, I got this aquarium for my girl as a Valentine's Day gift. Now I'm completely obsessed. She just wants to know when the water will be pretty again.

Driftwood can get ugly sometimes while the BB grows on the surface. I put a 3 foot piece in my 125 and it was pretty ugly with the white slime for over a month before it got the BB growing on it. Looks great now. I used to wipe some of it off during water changes. Give it time it will work itself out. I have a new airline in that tank now that has the white slim starting to flake off finally. It was in there for a month or so now. Everything I put in that tank does the same thing unless it is a surface my green phantom pleco can get at. Didn't have my pleco when I put the wood in so it looked really bad as it is big and in the centre of the tank.

I know this thread is a bit old now, but I wanted to update it in case someone runs into the same situation as me and turns to google for answers.

Rivercats recommendation convinced me and I purchased a UV sterilizer. I bought the mini Green Killing Machine from Amazon and within 24 hours my water was looking better. After 4 days I could see the back of the tank and after about a week it was crystal clear again. Now I have the powerhead slightly above the water line and use it to supplement my HOB filter's water agitation/aeration.

Thanks to everyone who replied and I hope this helps someone in the future.

Back
Top Bottom