Bad rocks???!!?!?!!? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have black rocks from Walmart and they are turning white. What do I do

Like decorative river rocks or something? Are they intended for an aquarium? I'm not sure exactly of the consequences, but if you're in doubt...pull them out. If it looks like they were painted and that's what is wearing away...I'd also do some water changes every day for a while personally if it was my tank.

Is it your substrate (aquarium gravel, etc...)? Or is it just something in there as decoration? Were they made for an aquarium?

I'd also check your pH compared to the tap water in case it has caused any fluctuations.

No they were black aquarium gravel with a bad paint job. I took all out and added new natural pebbles. Btw I love the new look. Before and after pics. I have fish in a quarintene bucket as I thought this was serious

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110717_222020.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110717_222020.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20110717_222120.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110717_222120.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 133
o.jonathan.o said:
No they were black aquarium gravel with a bad paint job. I took all out and added new natural pebbles. Btw I love the new look. Before and after pics. I have fish in a quarintene bucket as I thought this was serious

Looks good. Make sure to keep a sharp eye on your ammonia and no2 level every day for the foreseeable future. Entirely changing out substrate can have an effect on your biological filter. Test every day, and be ready to do water changes if you see any spikes ;-)

o.jonathan.o said:
Thanks will do. I goto pet smart for my testing

If you can scrounge together some $, pick up an API Master test kit. They're around $25-30, but they last forever and provide very accurate results. It's pretty vital to have in order to keep your aquarium happy and healthy. I wouldn't use test strips even if they gave them away for free ;-)

o.jonathan.o said:
Thanks will do. I goto pet smart for my testing

My PETCO uses test strips for there free testing. If yours dose too then DONT trust the results! (Just my $0.01)

o.jonathan.o said:
Is that the actual name of it and what brand

It's referred to as an "API Master Test Kit". It's made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. They make a freshwater and a saltwater version...so make sure you get the right one. It is a liquid kit that includes test tubes...and it tests for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, pH and high range pH. If you get one, make sure you follow the instructions in the booklet, not just what it says on the bottles. It's easy to use, but can be a bit tricky if you don't follow the instructions at first.

o.jonathan.o said:
Okay thanks. I will get one asap

Good deal :). It's what almost all of us here recommend, and along with a bucket for water changes...it will become you and your fishes best friend in keeping them healthy.

Okay this is a dumb question but a bucket water change in my case means what. 1 gallon for every 10 gallons or what

o.jonathan.o said:
Okay this is a dumb question but a bucket water change in my case means what. 1 gallon for every 10 gallons or what

I meant having both the API kit, as well as a bucket to use for water changes are helpful things. Assuming the tank is cycled (it is, right?), normally a weekly 25% water change is recommended to keep your tank healthy.

eco23 said:
I meant having both the API kit, as well as a bucket to use for water changes are helpful things. Assuming the tank is cycled (it is, right?), normally a weekly 25% water change is recommended to keep your tank healthy.

Well it is cycled but as u know I had to take all the water out to put new rocks in but yes the filter is cycled

o.jonathan.o said:
Well it is cycled but as u know I had to take all the water out to put new rocks in but yes the filter is cycled

Good news :). Like you said, most of the beneficial bacteria is in your filter media...you'll lose a little bit by switching out the gravel...but some water changes for a few days if your ammonia or no2 climbs will get everything back to stable.

Okay thanks. Next step is Java moss + neon tetras + red cherry shrimp + brand new led lighting with moon light

Back
Top Bottom