Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to GIMojo
BAH

im going with fake plants plus some westeria(only thing that has survived in my tank of death. im getting tired of wpg and c02(even though i havnt spent much time on it really). im a student, no job what-so-ever. i cant be constantly affording new lights and i nearly killed the lights doing the ballast thing lol. maybe when they have good clear step by step that i can understand, ill get back to live plants. plus

fake plants= no snail infestation.

im going back to school in a few weeks and i dont think i want to be worrying about some new plant problem.

what do you think

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...iele/sakic.jpg
GIMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

do whatever you like. We're not here to force you into keeping live plants.

but why are you 'constantly affording new lights'? are you doing ODNO or something? cuz if you use PC's, you don't replace the bulb until it quits workign, and that'll take about 2 years with 12hrs per day use (on average).

Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I think the referance was to upgradeing.. and as far as ODNO goes if you 2X your likely not going to see a diffence in lamp life.. (If I remember correctly 2X was your plan..) and what did you buy? was it the WH7 from prolighting.com?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to GIMojo
no i bought something similar at home hardware

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...iele/sakic.jpg
GIMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
maybe when they have good clear step by step that i can understand, ill get back to live plants
GIMojo-
Been there, done that, and am back again! This time for a 10 gal old QT tank, with no investment in anything new except for gravel, substrate, and plants. I thought the low light tank instructions on the plantgeek website sounded pretty easy, so here I go again. Should I fail at this attempt............
Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didn't start with live plants until I turned to tropical (from goldfish, which got an upgrade) and I used my old 10g tank which is a cheap walmart kit, with incandescent lights even...and I started with anarchis, which grew pretty well, and then I bought bulbs from walmart (I know, everyone hates walmart, but I'm a poor college student!) and I got really nice, tall plants out of them! I moved them into my newly aquired 29g, and they all reach the top! I think they are hygro, or something like that. I also have a lily plant grown from a bulb from the same company. I also have java moss and cabomba in there now. But even with my poor lighting, no co2, and occasional ferts (flurish regular) they do fine. Just find the really easy plants, like the cabomba, and you shouldn't have a problem. I think my fish are much happier (or maybe that's just me) and the tank looks much nicer as well...
Old 08-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIMojo
no i bought something similar at home hardware
HD doesnt sell anything similar to the Fulham Workhorse 7.. they sell 4- F32T8's (wich you would need 2 of to do ODNO 2X) and they sell 2-F32T8's (that one you would need 4 of for to get 2X ODNO).. in other words If you bought a 4-F32T8 and tried to hook it up to all 4 of your 36" bulbs that would be frustrating, it can only 2X OD 2 of your bulbs..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com