bala sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sith j

Aquarium Advice Activist
how quickly do they grow, i have a 75 with plenty of swimming room and keep good water quality. do you think they will out grow the tank in a year.

No Mine are at 8 to 10inches in a 75g planted and are doing great. How big are yours now?

weasel how long did it take for yours to get 8-10 inches, i have not purchased any fish just trying do my homework for a stocking list

The size your Balas reach is pre-determined from breeding however the amount and frequency you feed them will ultimately determine how quickly they grow to that size. As well frequent water changes will cause them to grow very quickly in conjunction with the feeding. And I dont think they will outgrow the tank in a year, mabey a year and a half tops.
Enjoy

I have had 2 balasharks in my 56 gallon for a year now and they are about 4 inches... i didn't know you needed at least 75 gallons

My bala, when I had him, grew from 2 1/2 inches to 6 1/2 inches in a year. Started in my 26G, then moved to my 55G when I set it up. He didn't make it through when the tank was hit hard with ick.

I had four in my 55g. They grew to be at least 13". I had them about 3 years. I got them from my dad who had them about a year. They didnt grow much until I got them. He swears its the water lol.

It could very well be the water, lol. Balas are more susceptible to poor water conditions than a lot of other fish, and if you were keeping the water quality better, then they were thriving much better, and happier.

Yes, he was loaded with ick. We didn't know it when I got him. A few days later the tank had ick bad and he didn't make it. His gills were loaded. It also took my other bala with it, didn't survive the 2nd round of ick. The first round was when my tiger barbs that I bought brought it in.

My Bala's are the most pleasurable to watch.. From what I have read they grow very fast.. I bought them small so I can enjoy watching them get big!! They eat about anything I have put in the tank. Some of them make noises when they eat... like a snapping sound.. Mine have never done this but I heard this from other Bala Shark owners.

They always come out to greet me when I go up to the tank...

I have never had one of them jump out or try to... I've heard they are jumpers but haven't ever seen them try it ... thank goodness!!!

Lonewolfblue said:
Yes, he was loaded with ick. We didn't know it when I got him. A few days later the tank had ick bad and he didn't make it. His gills were loaded. It also took my other bala with it, didn't survive the 2nd round of ick. The first round was when my tiger barbs that I bought brought it in.

Awww. I'm sorry. That fish was awesome. :(

man this is a tough decision, i cant figure out my showcase fish, the reason i wanted to go with balas is they are fairly non agressive. so i can put in other peaceful schooling fish and not have any problems. but you need at least three and im afraid they will outgrow my 75 in no time. i may go with two severum and a school of tiger barbs and green barbs, its so hard to make up your mind. has anyone kept severum with other fish that are not in the cichlid family, and can severum be kept with angels.

tia

Well, just keep this in mind. If you go with the balas, which are great, you will probably have a little over 2 years before you need to do anything, if you get them around the 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch in size. Maybe even a little longer being a 75G. When they get a little bigger, in the 6-7 inch range, growth slows down. Just remember to keep the water quality up with the balas, as they are very suseptible to disease, ick, etc, more-so than a lot of other fish.

Oh, and one last thing, if you do get them, just a warning, you will get attached to them... :)

Back
Top Bottom