Balloon Mollies- anyone convert them to salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougaran

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've converted other mollies with no problem. However today I added to about to 7 gallons in a 10 gallon tank a tablespoon of salt(Instant ocean). One ballon molly, which was ill with fungus, which is gone is fine now. Another balloon molly is fine. But, the last one is floating funny, like problems with swim bladder. Shes breathing fine, just having trouble swimming. She was fine before today. I also have 2 platys in the tank, as this a Qt tank. They are also fine. Eventually, I'm going to remove the platys and I wanted to convert the balloon mollies to salt to cycle my SW tank. Has anyone had any experience with them in salt??

You can convert mollies to salt or freshwater, even though they do better in brackish.

If you aclimate them slowly they will be fine. but they do live longer in fresh or brakish waters. but i converted some mollies a while back and they are still doing fine.

I dont know, i checked on this one balloon molly still has same problem. There must be something wrong with it's swim bladder. However it was fine in fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom