Balloon molly acting weird and water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meatloaf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was looking at my aquarium and I found one of my balloon mollies hiding with stringy clear poop. I was instantly worried and have no clue what is going on. I tested my tank and realized my tank levels where high due to the fact I changed the gravel and have been doing between 10 to 30 percent water changes every other day. Of course I automatically did a 35 percent water change. Is there anything else I can do and is it just the water or something else. Also should I be doing more water changes or anything else to help the water. I have been testing everyday and making sure all of my fish are happy and all of them are but this guy. Any help is highly appreciated!

What exactly are the water parametres? Stringy poop is often a sign of internal parasites, but it can also be from a bacterial infection. It could also be a harmless one-time incident. Difficult to say, you'll just have to keep an eye on her. Maybe move her into a quarantine tank, if there is such an option, just to be safe. Is she showing any other symptoms besides the poop?

I good friend once told me "you can never do too many water changes" His logic was that most of these fish come from rivers where the water changes by the second. But, it seems to me you are doing way to much work. What is it you hope to accomplish with all those changes? Which one of your tests have you concerned?

The balloon molly has totally gotten better. When doing all of those water changes I am hoping to keep the nitrite levels down. I have been testing every day and ammonia is at zero, nitrites are at 30 ppm, and nitrates are at o.7.

Yes, thank you. I feel bad for my fish I never actually realized they where switched. Oops

Back
Top Bottom