Beach Rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I just got a new aquarium and was wondering if I put in rocks that have been collected from beaches if they are very well washed?

Thanks.

Welcome to AA, Elle2! :multi: :smilecolros: :multi:

Do you know what kind of rocks they are? Quartz, sandstone, granite, and slate are all safe. Rocks that contain limestone or metals like iron will leach into the water and might cause trouble.

Limestone will bubble and fizz if a strong acid is placed on it. (Muriatic acid from the hardware store works best for this test - wear gloves.)
Iron -containing rocks will stain the water if left soaking in it for a few days.

I don't know, they have been colected at various times and places but are all from the West Coast- but I should be able to figure it out with your method. Thanks!

I've collected a bunch of rock from the shore of Lake Michigan and various local streams/creeks/rivers and never had a bit of trouble.

Since they were in the ocean (I assume that is the beach you are refering to), put them in a bucket with boiling water (or boil them in a pot on the stove), let them boil for 5-10 mins. Let the water cool, then put some aquarium salt on a plate. wet a scrub brush in the boiled water and dip it on the plate to pick up some salt and start scrubbing.. Rinse when done.

Beautiful place out there, sadly aside from the ferry ride out to the island I didn't get to see much of the ocean..

Back
Top Bottom