Molly pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CorinneJMB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I think my black Molly is due to have her fry’s. Im not to sure as I’ve never had fish give birth
She has a very big tummy and hiding around the big rocks I’ve put her in a breeding box

How can I tell when she going to have her fry’s

Thank you

Hi

I think my black Molly is due to have her fry’s. Im not to sure as I’ve never had fish give birth
She has a very big tummy and hiding around the big rocks I’ve put her in a breeding box

How can I tell when she going to have her fry’s

Thank you

A picture would help better. A large belly could be a few different things. Breeder boxes have been found to cause undue stress on the fish to the point of delaying births so placing the female either in a tank with lots of floating plants for the fry to hide in earlier in the pregnancy OR removing the other fish in the tank which could eat the fry is the better option. This is all assuming the fish is actually pregnant and not suffering from the other possibilities.

My opinion is that the breeder box is too small for that fish. I can't really see how far along she is but I'd release the fish and either place a divider in the tank ( an option I forgot to add in my previous post) so that she can give birth in some frilly floating plants or add a lot of frilly floating plants to the tank so that the fry have a chance to hide after birth. Once they are out, you can place them in a separate tank until they get large enough not to get eaten or keep them in the divided section of the tank until they get large enough not to get eaten and then you can remove the divider. (y)

Ok could I put her in a tank by herself till she gives birth sorry I’m new to all this I got a little plant not much

Good. Get some more frilly plants. (y) Fish like Mollies can delay birthing until she feels secure that the fry will survive. They naturally give birth in weeded areas.
BTW, there's nothing to be sorry about. :flowers: Fish keeping has a lot of nuances that you learn along the way. There is also a lot of bad info out there in fishland so you really need to get more than one opinion whenever you have questions. As you go along you will start to interview the people you are getting advice from so you'll know who to believe and who to say "Thank you" and walk or run away from. ;) ;) I'm 59 years into fish keeping and had 45+ years of being in the tropical fish business and there are things happening today that I still learn. My specialty is fish breeding and medications because I was a commercial fish breeder. Your fish could very well be genetically linked to one of my hatcheries as I bred a lot of different fish for the trade many years ago. :D (y)

Ok do you know how far along she is

There's no way to tell. The gestation period for Black Mollies is anywhere from 30-45 days but because many mollies are hybrids of different molly species, it could go as long as 70 days. All you can do at this point is wait and check daily for little fish swimming at the surface among the plant leaves. (y)

Back
Top Bottom