beach sand in aqaurium Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you think if I get sand from our beach here in florida, and I boil it, rinse it? I'm doing freshwater but thought hey I could use beach sand. I live at the beach! just a thought any ideas?

I live in Florida too! I've used drift wood from the beach but make sure to get all the salt out before you add it to your tank. Good luck

I would be careful I believe in some areas it is actually illegal to take sand from the beach due to beach erosion they have it shipped in so it's actually city property. I too love in Florida.

Do you guys heat your tanks? And I think Play Sand or Pool Filter Sand is a better choice.

I've debated this very thing. Except I live on the south/eastern coast of Canada.

I've used driftwood and rocks from near by lakes but I'm really not sure about ocean sand.

I don't recommend sand from a beach,
1. You can have traces of salt in the sand
2. Beach sand is not the cleanest, you can run into toxins that don't boil out of the sand, such as oils etc.
3. With all the time and effort it takes to clean the sand, you could just buy a cheap bag

butterfly_koi said:
I don't recommend sand from a beach,
1. You can have traces of salt in the sand
2. Beach sand is not the cleanest, you can run into toxins that don't boil out of the sand, such as oils etc.
3. With all the time and effort it takes to clean the sand, you could just buy a cheap bag

+1 you may have traces of oil in the sand from the BP oil spill also.

I love my hubby!

We went out and bought petco brand sand for our 10 gallon. its the pretty grey color, looks great with guppies, i can see debris easy, and stays down. I gotta love him, he let me buy it. two bags full and the tank looks great!! Oh about the BP spill I am on the other coast of FL. thanks guys..

Oceangirl said:
We went out and bought petco brand sand for our 10 gallon. its the pretty grey color, looks great with guppies, i can see debris easy, and stays down. I gotta love him, he let me buy it. two bags full and the tank looks great!! Oh about the BP spill I am on the other coast of FL. thanks guys..

Ok, just didnt want to see you put contaminated sand in your tank. Good Luck with the sand, i just set up a 29 gal with sand and i love it! :)

I know it doesn't matter now b/c you've got your sand, but also, wouldn't it contain ground up pieces of sea shells & coral which would affect pH too much? Like don't put anything in your tank that sizzles/bubbles if you put vinegar on it?? Sand from the store doesn't contain calcium, etc.

Absolutely but my favorite store in lauderdale is the planted aquarium on Dixie just north of Oakland. Honestly the best freshwater store in town and they have a lot of the rare fish you don't normally see.

Back
Top Bottom