Best book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone recommend a freshwater fish book that contains a huge selection of fish (not just the common ones) and contains gender distinguishing, min tank size, min shoaling numbers, fish preference in terms of hiding places, tank temp hardness ph etc. I want to brush up on my knowledge of fish specifically and would make a great Xmas present.

If anyone can also recommend something similar for plants that would be great too. The more fish and plants in them the better.

Thanks

It's not a book but I use an iphone app called the "aquarium handbook". Cost was about 15 dollars. Not sure if there are other ebooks out there. I only mention it as an alternative/complement as I read it on the train or in the fish shop.

It's not a book but I use an iphone app called the "aquarium handbook". Cost was about 15 dollars. Not sure if there are other ebooks out there. I only mention it as an alternative/complement as I read it on the train or in the fish shop.

Was it worth the $15? Does it cover mostly fish or the entire thing, cycling, stocking, equipment, etc? Would you recommend it for a fairly new aquarist?

Was it worth the $15? Does it cover mostly fish or the entire thing, cycling, stocking, equipment, etc? Would you recommend it for a fairly new aquarist?

Hi, covers only fish, plants and invertebrates. This covers marine to fresh. I'd give it 4 out 5 stars, I'd definitely get it again. It's been great to look up fish at the shop and saved on impulse buys. I found it good reading, although it is brief, and of course it can be taken anywhere. I found it complemented the books I got out of the library, etc but would suit someone new'ish or just wants to read more.

Hi, covers only fish, plants and invertebrates. This covers marine to fresh. I'd give it 4 out 5 stars, I'd definitely get it again. It's been great to look up fish at the shop and saved on impulse buys. I found it good reading, although it is brief, and of course it can be taken anywhere. I found it complemented the books I got out of the library, etc but would suit someone new'ish or just wants to read more.

Thank you so much. Seems like a future purchase for me :)

I believe Dr Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes is the closest you'll get. My LFS keep a copy out on the counter for picture IDs. It's almost like a textbook.

Back
Top Bottom