Best way to wash lots of sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use 5 gallons buckets. Just fill it up to about 3/4 full of sand and then stick the hose in the bottom. Once the water is clear, dump it in your tank and then start over.

TheWaterMark said:
I've jot about 100 pounds of sand to wash before putting it in my new tank. Does anyone have any hints or tips?

A bathtub, hot water, and a fine net. Put he net over the drain and fasten it securlely
Pour in the sand and start running the hot water
Run it for 1-2 hours

+1 on the bucket and hose, this has always worked for me but I usually only go halfway full on the sand as it makes it easier to move the hose around

I used a wheel barrel and dumped a 50 lb. bag in at a time, put the garden hose in and kept stirring the sand up until the water was pretty clear. After you put the sand in the tank and fill the tank up with water, make sure you let the water settle for quite a while, there will be a lot of silica floating in the water.

A bathtub, hot water, and a fine net. Put he net over the drain and fasten it securlely
Pour in the sand and start running the hot water
Run it for 1-2 hours

Sounds like a great way to clog the drain if anything goes awry and the sand makes it past the net. Plus the small surface area of the drain means that the net is probably going to stop up the flow pretty easily when it gets sand on it, so the person is going to be messing with the net constantly to get the water flowing though it. I wouldn't risk it.

The bucket method works just fine. Some people talk about using a pillowcase also, but I've always just used a bucket.

I've done the tub method, the pillow case method and the bucket method. Hands down the bucket method (outside) is the best because there is less to clean up in the end and no chance to clog any drain.

Back
Top Bottom