Betta fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishingCourtney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend bought a betta fish from Petco about a week and a half ago and has noticed some fin rot on his tail. She has been advised to add aquarium salt to his bowel but symptoms have only increased.. I don't know much about bettas so I took her to my LFS and they gave her something called "Betta Revive"?

If you have any insight or advice
It would be much appreciated!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414703944.492473.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i have zero experience adding salt to their bowels, but i would suggest grabbing a small tank and running a filter. 5 or 10 gallon tank...and doing frequent water changes until you get some solid advice on the meds.

Atleast get some plants in that bowl, it's really a less than suitable environment for a betta. A 10% wc should be performed daily using prime or adequate conditioner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I second what Thing Fish said. Clean, warm water is best. And by warm, I mean heated. Does this Betta have a heater? They are tropical fish that require warm temperatures. It is true that Bettas can survive in smaller environments, but they thrive in a cycled, heated tank. In a bowl like that the water should be changed daily at minimum. I wouldn't put a Betta in less than 3 gallons, personally. And always with a heater and frequent water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah it's probably that it's in a bowl. I've lost a lot of bettas and finally got one to survive. Stable temperature and very clean water are everything. Have you tested the water?

Petsmart is having a sale on a 3 gallon kit for about $30. It had a gentle filter suitable for bettas. And amazon has appropriate heaters. A lot of betta bowl heaters just make the bowl 2 degrees warmer than the room, so it's still not stable. A 50 watt with a thermostat is better, in a larger aquarium.

Just adding salt and medicines can kill the fish ... The more that is in the water, the more it is at risk for osmotic stress.

I do love salt for bettas. If the bowl is staying, I'd use just API stress coat and salt, change 30% of the water a day, get the temp very stable, and see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom