Betta Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clancy1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post/question and I hope to gain a better insight and learn from everyone.

I have three Betta tanks with a Betta in each.......10 gallon tanks. I have a 4 stage filter Bio/Carbon/Ammonia/Mechanical. Water is crystal clear, I vacuum the gravel once a month and change water every 10-14 days about 40%. No change in feeding routine or tank care for a year.

One of my Bettas developed a loss of appetite and started hiding in this log, thought his appearance was a bit bloated, and then suddenly went downhill and died.

What can I do better,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,???????Thank you

How often do you feed? How much and what do you feed? By bloated, what do you mean? Scales sticking out? had he used the restroom? Whats the flow like on the tanks, are these plakat or long finned bettas? Are they Hang on the back filters?

How often do you feed? How much and what do you feed? By bloated, what do you mean? Scales sticking out? had he used the restroom? Whats the flow like on the tanks, are these plakat or long finned bettas? Are they Hang on the back filters?
Usually once or twice a day. Bug bites and blood worms.....got away from pellets. Hang on the back filters with variable flow rates with the 4 stages I mentioned.
Long fin Betta, water changes about 3x month.
Stomach looked enlarged but no protruding scales. Behavior was what I noticed first. He had a large log that he would hide in and was hesitant to come out where prior to that would engage me just walking up to the tank. Did not see him defecate. When he ate he appeared normal. This happened so sudden. Was it food, over feeding although same frequency for a year, water chemistry?
Appreciate your thoughts

My guess? Constipation. Its actually decently common. Just feed your guys half a pea each every few weeks.

No pras for Bettas, they have issues with plant protein. I think it's recommended ti feed Daphnia

No, they do not if fed sparingly. Notice I did not say feed it often! Even wild bettas nip at plant matter occasionally! In fact they need the fiber. But... that is just my guess at what happened. Its rather common in bettas.

I tried peas with my Betta for bloat once, he wouldn't touch it. Even small pieces right in front of him. I would try daphnia instead of he won't eat the peas.

Back
Top Bottom