Betta in FW aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55ReefGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

36 gallon bow front aquarium
Fluval 304 and AquaClear 200
Driftwood, fake plants
1 red and white shark
2 tiger barbs
2 angelfish
1 pleco
1 neon
1 7 inch Red parrot

Can I put a betta that I have in a 1 gallon tank in there? The PH levels probably won't be the same, and netiher will be the tempaerature. The tank is at a stead 76.1F.

Will this guy be chased around in there? He looks bored, but he is gorgeous and would add some much color to the tank.

I know nothing about bettas.

Thanks
Eric

You can try it, but be prepared to move him back to the 1g if necessary. Its possible the tigers will nip his fins badly (they are notorious fin nippers and bettas are really slow moving in comparison). The angels may or may not care; its those long male betta fins they may see and consider it a rival for territory.

Whats the diff in pH? You may want to acclimate him if theres a diff more then .4 or so.

I agree. The Tigers and Angels are what you will have to watch out for. Anythings possible though. I mistakenly put my betta in with dwarf puffers. They destroyed his fins. Funny thing is, it didn't happen until the 10th day, and it was all at once.

Curious..why do you have only one neon?
You do know they are schooling fish....?

I ask because if the tank mates harrased or ate other neons, chance are high that Mr. Betta is agoing to be a target. (Though it seems everything big enough to eat a neon..does)

Funny you should ask. It was given to me by my sister at the same time she gave me the Blood parrot, which is quite large at 7 inches. He is always close to the Parrot, they seem to have adopted each other.

No onw messes with the neon...

:wink:

That's cute! . . . back when my clown loaches used to emerge sometimes (haven't seen 'em in months, they like to hide until it's pitch black, at which point I am dead asleep), one of them used to try to swim along with my small school of tiger barbs (6 of them). They ignored him, but he would swim along for a bit and even stop when they stopped, twitching his fins to stay with them. It was nice.
But the tiger barbs will pick on the betta, seriously; mine have dents in their cadual fins just from each other (let alone an easy target like a flowing betta). Also, I read somewhere that angels have attacked other fish with elaborate fins, possibly because they also have long fins (albeit much less full). So I wouldn't do it. It's better for the betta.

Tiger barbs are usually fin nippers but if your angels are okay then I'd try- I guess...Temp. is another question....Read about Bettas if you have to.... :roll: :|

55ReefGuy said:
Funny you should ask. It was given to me by my sister at the same time she gave me the Blood parrot, which is quite large at 7 inches. He is always close to the Parrot, they seem to have adopted each other.

No onw messes with the neon...

:wink:

:eyes:

That's something to behold!

Back
Top Bottom