Rummy nipping on Betta!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
1 Betta and 13 Rummynose in a 25 gallon tank.

I never had an issue with, but today I noticed the Rummynose going after the Betta fins twice! They used to be scared of the Betta as they were much smaller, and I only had 8 of them. But now they are bigger and I have 13, it seems like the Betta is avoiding them?

Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do like returning some of my Rummynose and have a group of 8?

Here is a video of my tank:

I'm new here and to fishkeeping and I also have a Betta. I have no advice however I just wanted to say your Betta is beautiful and I adore your tank setup.

I'm new here and to fishkeeping and I also have a Betta. I have no advice however I just wanted to say your Betta is beautiful and I adore your tank setup.

Thank you!

Yeah shes the most beautiful Betta I ever owned :)

Here is a clear picture of my Giant Koi Halfmoon Betta

Attachments

• IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 11
Just WOW!
I'd show my boy off however I'm having fin rip and tear issues so he isn't looking his best. I'll add a pic of when I first got him. I was told he is a dumbo halfmoon. I just loved his coloring. I've had him since the end of February and moved in June and have noticed the issue since the move. Hasn't gotten better or worse, but got some good advice and am working on a few things. Good luck with your nipping issue

Attachments

• IMG_20230301_162010643.jpg
    IMG_20230301_162010643.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 11
1 Betta and 13 Rummynose in a 25 gallon tank.

I never had an issue with, but today I noticed the Rummynose going after the Betta fins twice! They used to be scared of the Betta as they were much smaller, and I only had 8 of them. But now they are bigger and I have 13, it seems like the Betta is avoiding them?

Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do like returning some of my Rummynose and have a group of 8?

Here is a video of my tank:

Unfortunately, any Tetra can become a fin nipper so your pairing of them with a long finned fish of any species is not going to work long term. The best you can do is either separate the Betta within the tank or into another tank or removing all the rummynose. Once they start nipping, school size is not going to matter ime.

I just noticed you said you have a giant Betta. I've been reading the different ones there are and the giant seem really cool. Is it true that they tend to be more laid back and less aggressive? I'm thinking about getting one for a second tank in the next year, after I get my boy back to great health.

Unfortunately, any Tetra can become a fin nipper so your pairing of them with a long finned fish of any species is not going to work long term. The best you can do is either separate the Betta within the tank or into another tank or removing all the rummynose. Once they start nipping, school size is not going to matter ime.

Whats a good fit with Betta?

I have Rasboras and did not notice any issues in the other tank

I just noticed you said you have a giant Betta. I've been reading the different ones there are and the giant seem really cool. Is it true that they tend to be more laid back and less aggressive? I'm thinking about getting one for a second tank in the next year, after I get my boy back to great health.

I love his colors! Good luck on his treatment, I know it gets overwhelming with all the info and things you have to do.

My regular Bettas are always grumpy, aggressive, and swim like they are struggling. While the Giant one is always calm, and swims and dives very smoothly, even though he has a long finned halfmoon! Hes always active and adventurous. So I think I prefer giant Bettas more but keep in mind they require a bigger tank if you will add other fish with them. My giant Betta ate shrimp when he was in 10 gallon, but ignored them in my 25 gallon!

I buy my fish from here: https://thailandbettafish.com/

Male bettas are generally best alone. There will be some who say they have good pairings with other fish, but that's generally the rule. Bettas are king of their tank; their nature dictates that they run the show. So in addition to the health issues of nipping, a betta who's on the run and not "top dog" is one unhappy betta. Snails are good companions for them.

Whats a good fit with Betta?

I have Rasboras and did not notice any issues in the other tank

Bettas and Rasboras come from similar areas ( even tho you are not dealing with wild caught Bettas) while Tetras come from an entirely different continent from them so if you must put fish in with them, Rasboras are a better choice. Stick with the varieties that stay small ( i.e. Harlequin, lambchop, glo-lites, etc) but not the micro species which the Betta can eat. There are a number of really pretty Rasboras but are offered small but get too large to be with Bettas so research adult size of whichever one(s) you choose.
As ADsnail said, Bettas are usually best alone. Bettas are perfectly happy being alone and do not need the competition for food. Just something to think about. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom