Betta or Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't deiced whether to buy a betta or goldfish. What should i choose? What Goldfish?

I was thinking a Betta for my 14 Gallon or buying a larger tank for a Goldfish

I would say Betta, a lot easier to maintain compared to goldfish that have a huge bio load and they have a lot more character in my opinion, but if you are willing to provide what either fish needs then its personal choice, what do you prefer?

I dont know i cant choose haha. So hard. Could people post some pictures of their Betta or Goldfish showinh off their personality.

What else do you want in your tank? Are you looking at male or female Bettas? They're both iffy on tank mates but you're chances are better, IMO, with female Bettas. Plus you could put together a sorority of female Bettas if you wanted. Is your tank a 14g long or tall? Bettas prefer a more a shallow tank, they need to be able to get the surface for air. I'm a Betta fan, I currently have 8 females & 2 Males (not all in the same tank).

I agree with JLK, goldfish can last years. I'm planning on having it on its own, just one fish in a tank. I've been looking at Male Bettas, much more colourful.

I would go with a betta, not as large of a bio load, not as big, and much more colorful. I have a picture of my male betta, let me get it pulled up.......

For a 15 gal I would say betta, from personal experience. I have both of what you want and for a goldfish I would never put one in a tank that small. I have 1 male betta and one female African dwarf frog in a 15 gal and they are very happy together. I also have a male black moore goldfish in a 55 gal by him self and have had him for 2 years now and he is huge and wouldnt put more than maybe one or two more in with him max. Goldfish get very large and have a huge bio load. both have personality but for the size tank you have I would stay stick with something smaller. Good luck.

Thanks for everyones help. Can i see some pictures of your Bettas? and leave their name;)

You realize calico coloring in ryukins is not static?

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean?:huh:

Do you mean they don't all look the same or that the coloring isn't consistent? If so then yes, I completely get that. I was just giving a general idea to the OP.

Davies97 said:
Thanks for everyones help. Can i see some pictures of your Bettas? and leave their name;)

Here is Marshall, thus my name "marsh". He is my only fishy, and my favorite, but not my first.

My previous tank as a kid was stocked with Guppies and Neon Tetras. The biggest difference I noticed immediately is that these guys act like predators!! It's the difference between a sparrow and a hawk. My Marshy is observing, calculating, thinking and hunting at all times, unless sleeping after a meal. Just like a lion I suppose, the alpha male can afford to be lazy with a belly full of bloodworms/antelope meat.

Peek-a-boo!

Attachments

• image-973157394.jpg
    image-973157394.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1348128851.jpg
    image-1348128851.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 89
A calico ryukin will almost always lose their 'calico' coloring- black, blue & red generally are not stable colors in fancies unless you have an excellent breeder. Other breeds of goldies, it can be more stable (like shubunkin).

That Betta is very colourful and different and i like when fish are hunting. They turn into a different fish in an instant.

Back
Top Bottom