Bettas, Gouramis breathe from the surface, does this mean you can DROWN them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
Labyrinth fish (bettas, gouramis) all possess a respiratory organ that allows them to breathe at the surface of the water.

Does this mean you can drown and suffocate your fish, if they cannot reach the top of the tank?

Bubble_B0y said:
Labyrinth fish (bettas, gouramis) all possess a respiratory organ that allows them to breathe at the surface of the water.

Does this mean you can drown and suffocate your fish, if they cannot reach the top of the tank?

I don't know... if they have gills why would they need to surface?? Whales would suffocate... I have no idea about gouramis or betas. Im assuming you can't because they have gills. But I may be wrong.

yes,they can drown. they cannot get all of there oxygen from the water

To the best of my knowledge...
They have this breathing system because in the wild, they live in river systems that can dry up and get shallow, so it a precaution against dying in small pools. This organ has become a necessity for them to get the oxygen they need. So, yes, they could suffocate if they cannot get to the top.

Back
Top Bottom