Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to massiveattack Send a message via AIM to massiveattack
BIO-Wheel storage question

Hi, I'll be moving home from college soon, and am thinking of switching to a smaller tank and putting my BIO-Wheel Mini in storage. Someone's mentioned to me before in this forum that dead bacteria on a previously-used BIO-Wheel can be a big problem if I decide to use the filter again. Can anyone suggest some ways of properly storing it, or perhaps cleaning it?

Also, if for some reason I decide to keep the large tank, there will be a couple hours in between during my move that the BIO-Wheel won't be running. How should I treat the wheel after I get the large aquarium set up again?

Old 05-06-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
How should I treat the wheel after I get the large aquarium set up again?
Just store the wheel in aquarium water. It should be fine if it's only going to be a few hours. Just handle the wheel by it's frame. Try not to touch the wheel's "fins" to avoid killing off bacteria.

Quote:
Someone's mentioned to me before in this forum that dead bacteria on a previously-used BIO-Wheel can be a big problem if I decide to use the filter again.
I'm curious as to why. I've stored wheels before after running under tap water and cleaning with my fingers before. I wait til they dry out and then brush over the fins with my fingers to knock loose anything that remained. I rinse again and then add to existing aquarium at water change time (I'm adding dechlor at this time). After a few days to let bacteria colonize the wheel again, I put it into the tank I need it in.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
[quote="deli_conker"]
Quote:
Just store the wheel in aquarium water. It should be fine if it's only going to be a few hours. Just handle the wheel by it's frame. Try not to touch the wheel's "fins" to avoid killing off bacteria.
quote]

This is a good way to store the biowheel. Another good way, the way I use if I have to take my biowheel out is to take a papertowel, soak it in aquarium water (put the aquarium water in a cup, don't dip the papertowel in the aquarium). Wrap the papertowel around the biowheel and seal in a zip-lock bag.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, I've never had a problem, and my Bio-Wheels have been dried 100% twice (moved to different houses/stored/etc.)
Old 05-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

[quote="lmw80"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deli_conker
Quote:

This is a good way to store the biowheel. Another good way, the way I use if I have to take my biowheel out is to take a papertowel, soak it in aquarium water (put the aquarium water in a cup, don't dip the papertowel in the aquarium). Wrap the papertowel around the biowheel and seal in a zip-lock bag.

I've used this method and my bio-wheel stayed ok for days.

30 gallon tall Eclipse II: 4 Praecox Rainbow Fish, 2 Australian Rainbowfish, 3 zebra snails, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 Red Irian Rainbowfish, 1 Bronze Corydora, 1 Golden Panchax Killifish, 1 Aplocheilus lineolatus Killifish, 1 Common Pleco (~5 in.), 1 candystripe Pleco (~1 1/2 in.)

My online photos
illuminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
my Bio-Wheels have been dried 100% twice
I noticed on mine that the slime that doesn't get washed off dries into a layer of crud. That's why I run my fingers over it somewhat forcefully after it's dried for a few days. Do this over the sink as it might be a bit messy. It looks like big brown chunky bio-wheel dandruff...

Tags
bio, bio-wheel, eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com