BIO-Wheel storage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

massiveattack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'll be moving home from college soon, and am thinking of switching to a smaller tank and putting my BIO-Wheel Mini in storage. Someone's mentioned to me before in this forum that dead bacteria on a previously-used BIO-Wheel can be a big problem if I decide to use the filter again. Can anyone suggest some ways of properly storing it, or perhaps cleaning it?

Also, if for some reason I decide to keep the large tank, there will be a couple hours in between during my move that the BIO-Wheel won't be running. How should I treat the wheel after I get the large aquarium set up again?

How should I treat the wheel after I get the large aquarium set up again?
Just store the wheel in aquarium water. It should be fine if it's only going to be a few hours. Just handle the wheel by it's frame. Try not to touch the wheel's "fins" to avoid killing off bacteria.

Someone's mentioned to me before in this forum that dead bacteria on a previously-used BIO-Wheel can be a big problem if I decide to use the filter again.
I'm curious as to why. I've stored wheels before after running under tap water and cleaning with my fingers before. I wait til they dry out and then brush over the fins with my fingers to knock loose anything that remained. I rinse again and then add to existing aquarium at water change time (I'm adding dechlor at this time). After a few days to let bacteria colonize the wheel again, I put it into the tank I need it in.

deli_conker said:
Just store the wheel in aquarium water. It should be fine if it's only going to be a few hours. Just handle the wheel by it's frame. Try not to touch the wheel's "fins" to avoid killing off bacteria.
quote]

This is a good way to store the biowheel. Another good way, the way I use if I have to take my biowheel out is to take a papertowel, soak it in aquarium water (put the aquarium water in a cup, don't dip the papertowel in the aquarium). Wrap the papertowel around the biowheel and seal in a zip-lock bag.

Honestly, I've never had a problem, and my Bio-Wheels have been dried 100% twice (moved to different houses/stored/etc.)

lmw80 said:
deli_conker said:

This is a good way to store the biowheel. Another good way, the way I use if I have to take my biowheel out is to take a papertowel, soak it in aquarium water (put the aquarium water in a cup, don't dip the papertowel in the aquarium). Wrap the papertowel around the biowheel and seal in a zip-lock bag.

I've used this method and my bio-wheel stayed ok for days.

my Bio-Wheels have been dried 100% twice
I noticed on mine that the slime that doesn't get washed off dries into a layer of crud. That's why I run my fingers over it somewhat forcefully after it's dried for a few days. Do this over the sink as it might be a bit messy. It looks like big brown chunky bio-wheel dandruff...

Back
Top Bottom