Help me replace cartridge filter material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,
I use the Marineland Power Filter 200 and currently use the Marineland Filter Cartridges. I just bought some media bags and some Seachem Matrix bio media. I will start using that this weekend.

I eventually want to quit using the filter cartridges and switch to just a filter piece to catch the bad stuff before it hits the bio wheel, but what kind of material should I be looking for? Should it be coarse or fine?

I can order on amazon or see what the LFS has, I just do not always trust the opinion of the owners nieces and nephews, as why I am asking you bunch.

If you recommend me to just continue to use the cartridges, just please let me know why.

This is on a 20g tall tropical tank btw.
Thank you in advance,
Justin

I presume by "filter piece" you mean sponge?

You want it go through course sponge first to catch all the bigger bits of detritus, so 10/ 20 ppi. Then a finer sponge to catch smaller bits the course sponge misses, so 30/ 40ppi. If you just want 1 layer of sponge then 30ppi but you would need to rinse it more often so it doesnt clog up.

I presume by "filter piece" you mean sponge?

You want it go through course sponge first to catch all the bigger bits of detritus, so 10/ 20 ppi. Then a finer sponge to catch smaller bits the course sponge misses, so 30/ 40ppi. If you just want 1 layer of sponge then 30ppi but you would need to rinse it more often so it doesnt clog up.

Yes I did mean sponge. I do want a single layer if the sponges are thick, I don't mine rinsing frequently if needed. Do you know of a minimal thickness I should use? If I could fit 2 without issue then I will double up with different PPI as you stated.

With this option I just continue to rinse in aquarium water until they start to dissolve, correct?

Sponge usually comes in 1 inch thickness. 1 inch of each would be good.

I rinse mine every month or two. Ive got sponges 5 years old showing no sign of degrading.

Back
Top Bottom