Black Ghost Knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_elvish_misfit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I visit all my local pet stores just about every day (a lot of money and NO life or friends lol) and just recently all of them suddenly had these black ghost knife fish. They live in a little tube and they look really cool.

I read through a few sites and as usual they're conflicting info about what fish you can and can't keep with them.

If you've ever had or currently have one, could you click on 'My Tanks' and see if I'd be able to get one? With the proper information. I have some small fish and the tank is 72g.

they can eat any fish that fits in their mouths. despite what most people say they do need a large tank. most people keep them in small tanks and stunt them. i wouldnt put one in a 72 gallon tank.

main.php

Wow he's huge! What if he's well fed on nonliving food and lives with small fish while he's small? Will he still eat the small fish when he's older?

Fish are opportunists. "Big fish eat little fish" is a good rule to keep in mind.

Here's an example to illustrate my point: A lot of family dogs are fed dry dog food every day for years. I promise you, drop a steak in front of it, the dog will eat it.

True but a dead steak and a live fish are different. A cat should try and eat mice but if it grows up with them it dosen't.

I currently have a Black Ghost Knife and it does well with the fish I have in the tank with it. A new tank is on the way, but these fish can grow to 25" in length. So a large tank is a must. If you can spare 25" in your tank and plan on getting another tank in the next year or so, then I would get one. Mine is my favorite fish. Every Black Ghost Knife has a different personality. Some may be aggressive while others are peaceful. And you should have a lot of different hiding places for it. The more hiding places you have, the less likely he will be to eat other fish.

Back
Top Bottom