black moor question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'Typically' you will see a fish scratching and rubbing (called flashing) on the substrate, decor, sides of the tank, etc BUT I also have never seen any of my new goldfish do this when they had ich. They acted perfectly normal- swimming, eating, exploring but the telltale spots were very obvious.

In respect to posting a video, I believe you would need to post it first on another site such as UTube or Photobucket first then post the link here.

attached is the video...and before you make a comment. I am removing the rock tonight :)

Black moor - YouTube

I'll answer this one step at a time...I'm actually at work right now, so I will go off memory (and will confirm later tonight when I get home)

1. "I do see white spots, especially on his tail- are these the spots that appear & disappear as you mentioned?" Yes - the spots appeare throughout the body and then disappear
2. "Can you wipe them off if you run your finger over them?" - I will have to check tonight
3. "I notice lots of little white dots/bubbles in the pic as well" - I did a water change right before putting the little guy in, so there are lots of bubbles on the tank walls and ornaments. I also have a bubble wand and airstone running, causing some extra bubbles in the water..besides just the ones on the surface.
4 - "I also notice the outside of his eyes are greyish." - I think that is just the lighting, but I will confirm. Could this be a sign of some disease if not lighting?
5- "'appears' that his side is fuzzy/rough or his scales are partially lifted/sticking out" - not sure what I should be looking for here....i'm a newbie. Can you further describe please? it's a blurry pic, btw....

when i touched him, the spots went away. the outside of his eyes ARE greyish.

You need to offer him some veggies every day to pick at to keep him occuppied! Stick some cooked broccoli florets into a veggie clip and toss it in. I do see his eyes are greyish white but I still can not tell from the video if he has ich or not because he is quite active. He is not in great shape though and really needs some tlc. Lots of healthy water and a nutritious diet will do wonders for him! His eyes look like they were rubbed or scraped- it should clear up with some time. If it doesnt or it starts to get worse, please let let us know asap! :)

You need to offer him some veggies every day to pick at to keep him occuppied! Stick some cooked broccoli florets into a veggie clip and toss it in. I do see his eyes are greyish white but I still can not tell from the video if he has ich or not because he is quite active. He is not in great shape though and really needs some tlc. Lots of healthy water and a nutritious diet will do wonders for him! His eyes look like they were rubbed or scraped- it should clear up with some time. If it doesnt or it starts to get worse, please let let us know asap! :)

I have a lettuce leaf that I boiled and stuck on a veggie clip...he didn't eat it last night, so I put another one tonight (that I boiled a little longer) and he has been nipping at it all evening. I gave him three sinking pellets as well, that he gobbled up. I read in the link you sent me that veggies shouldn't be considered a meal...so hopefully not over feeding him.

How can you tell he is not in great shape? I would love the extra info.

I checked the water as soon as I got home as well - no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I'd like to get him a tank mate (thinking of getting an oranda)...but since this is my first fish, I want to take one step at a time...:)

so I also just took out the big rock you see at the end of the video..it does have some sharper edges (scratched the inside wall of my tank abit...but it's hidden, so no worries). Hopefully this will give him some more swim room.

Could the white particles just be the substrate? I have white sand in the tank.

Veggies are new to him so give him a chance. I would try broccoli florets first. They have a strong smell fish find enticing. Also try some bits of fruit, particularly something like tangerine/orange segments would be a good one to try first. Also, try to give him a few meals spread out through the day and more than just 3 pellets. He is a youngster and needs to eat in order to grow.

By his condition, he is very thin and his scales look rough and dull. He should have a nice rounded tummy and sides and his scales should look smooth, matte and black. Not your fault as he is new and I am positive you will get him into a healtheir state with some time! :)

Veggies are new to him so give him a chance. I would try broccoli florets first. They have a strong smell fish find enticing. Also try some bits of fruit, particularly something like tangerine/orange segments would be a good one to try first. Also, try to give him a few meals spread out through the day and more than just 3 pellets. He is a youngster and needs to eat in order to grow.

By his condition, he is very thin and his scales look rough and dull. He should have a nice rounded tummy and sides and his scales should look smooth, matte and black. Not your fault as he is new and I am positive you will get him into a healtheir state with some time! :)

Thanks for you help...I'm such a newbie at this! Feel like a concerned mother (I'm a 30 yr old guy though ;)!!! I will get him some broccoli tomorrow, as well as some orange. As far as the pellets...I'm out the door at 7am, and get home at 6pm. So I can feed him in the morning, and then at night (and leave the veggies/fruit for him to nibble on during the day). How many pellets would you suggest total in 24 hours?

Ok, I don't know what specific food your feeding or the size of the pellets. So, I'm basing this off of what I usually feed for commercial foods which is Hikari lionhead or saki. Do you have kitchen measuring spoons? Use the 1/4tsp one to measure food. Start around 1/2 of this or less and work up from there. Easy tip for veggies- buy frozen micro broccoli florets or other veggies. Micro them bit longer than suggested and stick in tupperware container- it will last almost all week. I also use the plastic jars of tangerines in juice- they last more than month. :)

Ok, I don't know what specific food your feeding or the size of the pellets. So, I'm basing this off of what I usually feed for commercial foods which is Hikari lionhead or saki. Do you have kitchen measuring spoons? Use the 1/4tsp one to measure food. Start around 1/2 of this or less and work up from there. Easy tip for veggies- buy frozen micro broccoli florets or other veggies. Micro them bit longer than suggested and stick in tupperware container- it will last almost all week. I also use the plastic jars of tangerines in juice- they last more than month. :)

I have the hikari oranda floating pellets...however, I have been soaking them in tank water and squeezing them, so that they sink to the bottom. I gave them two more pellets this evening...will start ure measuring trick tomorrow. btw, he is LOVING the lettuce - has been attacking it all evening, along with playing with the bubbles from the bubblewand. hopefully he is happy :)

I use the oranda food for my outside guys but dont have any any left right now (no one has been fed in months). I think those pellets are slightly larger than lionhead/saki mini pellets so measure around 1/2 of 1/4 tsp before soaking.

Last edited:
I have a Black Moor and she eats everything!! Vacuum the gravel and feed just a little for a day or so. I would tell you to fast her for a day but as a newbie you won't do it! lol Goldies have no stomachs so their body simply removes the protein and veggies from the food and the rest passes through. Vacuum up all the poop and she will be fine.

I use the oranda food for my outside guys but dont have any any left right now (no one has been fed in months). I think those pellets are slightly larger than lionhead/saki mini pellets so measure around 1/2 of 1/4 tsp before soaking.

so I soaked about a 1/4 tsp and dropped it in the fish tank. As soon, I did this, I realized that I shouldn't have dumped it all at once...and space it out over a few hours. woooooops! newbie mistake! I must take say that the 1/4 tsp is SIGNIFICANTLY MORE than the 3 pellets I've been giving him the last few days.

He finished up the full leaf of lettuce overnight, and I stuck from broccoli in there tonight...he hasn't touched it yet, probably cause he is focusing on the pellets. Hopefully he will like the broccoli as much as the lettuce. I also have some pear that I will give him in the next few days (could find non-syrup tangerines).

one thing I've noticed...after eating, he has been floating around a bit. Maybe he is full from eating? also, his poop is green and extends to the length of his tail before falling off. I'm assuming green from the lettuce, but is the length good?

I have a Black Moor and she eats everything!! Vacuum the gravel and feed just a little for a day or so. I would tell you to fast her for a day but as a newbie you won't do it! lol Goldies have no stomachs so their body simply removes the protein and veggies from the food and the rest passes through. Vacuum up all the poop and she will be fine.

thanks MarMan! it's been an interesting week so far!!

so I soaked about a 1/4 tsp and dropped it in the fish tank. As soon, I did this, I realized that I shouldn't have dumped it all at once...and space it out over a few hours. woooooops! newbie mistake! I must take say that the 1/4 tsp is SIGNIFICANTLY MORE than the 3 pellets I've been giving him the last few days.

He finished up the full leaf of lettuce overnight, and I stuck from broccoli in there tonight...he hasn't touched it yet, probably cause he is focusing on the pellets. Hopefully he will like the broccoli as much as the lettuce. I also have some pear that I will give him in the next few days (could find non-syrup tangerines).

one thing I've noticed...after eating, he has been floating around a bit. Maybe he is full from eating? also, his poop is green and extends to the length of his tail before falling off. I'm assuming green from the lettuce, but is the length good?

Perfectly normal to see big strands of green poop when he is eating his veggies. If he is getting a bit floaty already after eating regular food, I would strongly suggest to switching him to a gelfood now. It will save you alot of problems in the future. There are homemade options as well as commercial options for gelfoods. You can send a pm to Hukit for help with Repashy (commercial gelfood) or you can opt to make your own.

Goldfish and Aquarium Board Gel Food Recipes

Perfectly normal to see big strands of green poop when he is eating his veggies. If he is getting a bit floaty already after eating regular food, I would strongly suggest to switching him to a gelfood now. It will save you alot of problems in the future. There are homemade options as well as commercial options for gelfoods. You can send a pm to Hukit for help with Repashy (commercial gelfood) or you can opt to make your own.

just sent him an email...thanks for your help

Hi JLK - my fishy seems to be growing, but today I noticed that his belly is kinda of bulgy. Could this be dropsy...or just healthy growth? Video attached

20130304_132441.mp4 - YouTube

Looks normal to me. I do not see any pineconed scales but its easier to tell looking topview down. Goldies should have nice rounded tummies. If 'he' turns out to be a 'she' instead, her appearance will be even more round as she grows. You can also take a look topview down at his/her sides. Males will be more streamline and their sides will appear even from left to right. Females tend to be lopsided, with side sticking out further than the other. As its a juvenile fish, this may not be apparent yet. Just make sure he/she is getting his daily veggies to keep his digestive tract moving freely. :)

Looks normal to me. I do not see any pineconed scales but its easier to tell looking topview down. Goldies should have nice rounded tummies. If 'he' turns out to be a 'she' instead, her appearance will be even more round as she grows. You can also take a look topview down at his/her sides. Males will be more streamline and their sides will appear even from left to right. Females tend to be lopsided, with side sticking out further than the other. As its a juvenile fish, this may not be apparent yet. Just make sure he/she is getting his daily veggies to keep his digestive tract moving freely. :)

Thanks. Not lopsided, but as you mentioned..he/she is still pretty young to tell. I have been feeding him peas, lettuce and broccoli along with hikari pellets. I'll be introducing him to spinach later this week. Tried to feed him pear, but he did not like it...

I also ordered some pro-gold (going to replace the hikari with pro-gold) and spirulina as a treat every now and then.

Hi JLK - Just got home and noticed that one of the eye of my goldy is very cloudy (video attached...it's the left eye). Any suggestions on what to do?

20130306_171246.mp4 - YouTube

I just checked the water and has zero ammonia and very low nitrates, but did have some nitrites (not sure how this can happen??). I'll be doing a water change tonight (just did one on sunday). I did add some amazon swords...could they be the cause of the cloudy eye and nitrites??

Its hard to tell in the video but is it just a bit cloudy or is it fuzzy & cloudy? As its only one eye, I am guessing he may have scraped it on something. Moors are prone to eye injuries as they have poor vision and delicate eyes. If you have detectable nitrites, water changes will be must to get them well under control. :)

Back
Top Bottom